Author Topic: Smoking 2 things at once  (Read 4341 times)

Bob Sicoli

Smoking 2 things at once
« on: January 17, 2015, 10:30:37 AM »
Hi, I have the #2 and was going to use it for the 2nd time - i was wondering if I could smoke baby backs for 4 hours but add some salmon after 2 hours - will I mess it up by opening it half way? Thanks

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Smoking 2 things at once
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 10:43:18 AM »
No, opening the door once won't hurt anything.  I wonder, though, if it would be better to put the salmon in from the beginning so they get more smoke, and then remove after 2 hours, wrap and hold in the oven?   I see the greatest amount of smoke from my #2 within the first hour of the smoke...it's not that additional smoke doesn't continue for the duration, but it does taper off.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Bob Sicoli

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 10:52:05 AM »
Hi, thanks for the suggestion - that does make sense to me - I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks

Walt

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 11:01:11 AM »
Ribs will probably take more than 4 hours.  @ 225 or 235 it should take between 5 & 6 hours depending on how done you like them.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 08:37:06 PM »
Ribs will probably take more than 4 hours.  @ 225 or 235 it should take between 5 & 6 hours depending on how done you like them.

+1.  And, for a new owner (or anyone), I'm not sure trying to smoke ribs and salmon together is a very good idea.  Very different meats, and techniques.  Not sure I'd be happy about ribs that taste like fish!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 07:30:14 AM »
Agreed. You'd have to do them side by side to avoid one dripping on the other and then I'm not sure.

On another note I have done two meats at once. Had a pork butt in for 16 hours (I don't really recall the time but you will see my point)... And then I place on a tin back in smoker... Two lower racks I fillled with chicken legs completely packed... Threw on 2 oz of wood... And 2 hours later pulled out chicken and threw on grill to crisp skin... Then into roaster while butt rested. 

So pending what you want to mix... You can do just need to think through timing. And have beer for guests so they don't get too antsy if it takes you an hour to serve the food. 😉
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

Walt

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 12:52:36 PM »
I smoked a chicken (for 1 hour) alongside a butt (for 3 hours) @ 225 then removed both & placed each in its own dutch oven.  Stuffed the chicken with carrots, onions, garlic & more poultry rub.  Then covered with chopped onion & added some drippings (about 1 cup of drippings were from drip pan that was recovered after the 1st hour of smoke).  Did basically the same for the pork useing a pork rub.  Refrigerated everything over night then placed in the oven @ 10am @ 225.  Removed the chicken after about 4 hours IT 200.  De-boned & de-skinned then added back into cooking juices.  Removed the pork after about 7 hours IT 200.  De-boned & removed any remaining fat that didnt render then back into the cooking juices.  The pulled meat was used in soft tacos.  Raw onion, shaved radish, cilantro, japaleno, avacado, half of lime & a 50/50 addition of white wine vinegar & evoo topped the tacos  Also present was smoked potatoes diced with a little butter, charred then smoked stuffed poblano peppers wrapped in bacon & muffin size cornbread with japaleno, bacon, cream corn & cheddar cheese.

An unconventional smoke / braise, 2 different meats.  The harvested drippings & time in the smoker did give it a light smokey flavor even though the majority of the cook was in the dutch oven.  I had 9 people over to eat & they all left very happy & full.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 01:09:39 PM by Walt »
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 08:10:56 PM »
Just to clarify - I think smoking different meats together is OK, as long as they're things like poultry, beef or pork.  I just question smoking fish at the same time as those, as they will take on more fish smell than the fish will take on pork smell.  That's just the smell test that went off in my head.... ???
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Walt

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 09:20:34 PM »
Everything is better with rendered pork fat.  Not always the case with salmon.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 09:45:17 PM »
Everything is better with rendered pork fat.  Not always the case with salmon.

+++1! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas