Author Topic: Faux Smoke Ring on Brisket  (Read 3636 times)

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Faux Smoke Ring on Brisket
« on: January 15, 2015, 04:15:50 PM »
Just wondering, have seen some posts on the faux smoke ring. Has anyone achieved something like that using Tony's butt brine with the #1 pink salt, and brining a brisket. What were the results? Approx how many hours per pound to brine a brisket? I know it's generally a big no-no to brine brisket, but I'm all in favor of trying the big no-no's just for the heck of it. I realize the smoke ring is just for looks, but might be fun to try. Any opinions as to even whether to brine or not to brine brisket? I have never brined a brisket.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Walt

Re: Faux Smoke Ring on Brisket
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 04:19:16 PM »
Look under "Beef" for Walts brined brisket".  Absurdly good.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 04:31:23 PM »
That brisket looks delectable! I will definitely be trying that one. In addition to my first post, wondering if sprinkling with Morton Tender Quick (has lower nitrate than pink salt), wrapping in plastic wrap, and into the fridge for a couple days (no wet brine). I'm just talking off the top of my head. Just an idea. Anyone tried anything like that?
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

OFFSHORE GINGER

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 04:40:44 PM »
I, will be doing my first brisket tomorrow , and to tell you the truth I will not brine it other then dry rub (the night before or today ) along with injecting it with Beef Stock . 
[I[I .............

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 06:42:55 PM »
I have never heard that brining a brisket was a no-no. There are a lot of folks that are brining and injecting brisket with excellent results.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 08:56:11 PM »
Here's the answer to your question, in your first post, Kari!  Works great!

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2160.0
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 01:03:58 AM »
Kari, Here's a link to my first brined and injected brisket experience. It has lots of good information and I got a good pink faux smoke ring.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2581

Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 07:07:08 PM »
I know it's generally a big no-no to brine brisket, but I'm all in favor of trying the big no-no's just for the heck of it.

Kari, I have never thought that brining a brisket was a no-no! In fact, this method has worked extremely well for me and other members on this forum. Thinking outside of the box with stay in tune with the basic fundamentals of smoker can produce great results.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It