Author Topic: Wood chunks - with or without bark on them??? Pellets question, also.  (Read 10183 times)

bbqnewbie

• #2 purchased 1/15
I've read multiple remarks in Amazon's customer reviews of various wood chunk brands.  Some vociferously criticize the brand because the chunks contain many pieces of wood with the tree's bark on them while others say you WANT the bark on them for better flavor!  Is there a consensus of which is better?  Also, is there "agreement" on the top, say, five brands that most have been happy with?  I'm referring to brands here (Weber, Lumberjack, BBQ Delight, etc.) and not the favorite flavors.

Also, have any used the pellets to success if you have the chip screen?  And if so, what quantity of pellets should be used if one wants just a light-medium smoke taste?
- arline -
Smokin-It #2
Life-long gourmet cook, but never smoked before!  I'm now into my 2nd year of smoking - about 10X per year maximum.
San Diego

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: Wood chunks - with or without bark on them??? Pellets question, also.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 03:46:53 PM »
I just used some sugar maple with bark on last night.  No problems.  Cant say if it made a difference, but didnt hurt.  Many here use.

http://www.mainegrillingwoods.com/

If you want a cheaper bulk route, search smoker woods on eBay.

John
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 05:16:21 PM »
John...I was thinking of trying mainegrillingwoods but the chunk size they list 3.5x3.5" seem a bit too large for the smoke box on the #2.   Is that true?   Are you using the chunk size wood from the company?   I would like to try them because they sell the wood in smaller quantities than fruitawood.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 06:12:31 PM »
Steve,
My table saw does a great job making big ones into small ones.  Plus, I get to gather some sawdust.  Do you own a stationary power saw?
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 06:34:25 PM »
I use and have ordered from Maine. 

#1 get a digital scale.

#2 small camp hatchet or hammer with a wood framing chisel will do the job.

True Value has Collins camp hatchets former USA (mexico ARGH now) for pretty cheap.

Its easy to break these up.   I'd say 1/2 the bag of each what I ordered was ready for the smoker.  Some needed a light chopping.  Almost therapeutic on a concrete floor or thick work bench.

Hope that helps.

John

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 08:30:00 PM »
OK.  I ordered the sampler chunk package tonight.  No problem with splitting some of  the chunks, I have to do the same with some of the fruitawood wood as well. 
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 09:36:40 PM »
Arline, I order all my wood from either fruitawood.com, or mainegrillingwood.com - never a complaint from either!  Good, quality, properly-seasoned smoking wood.  Many of the brands you mentioned are also sold in the "Big Box" stores (WalMart, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.).  They tend to be older, drier wood.  Fine, if you're throwing them in a stick or charcoal burner, but not so good in the SI smokers.

Bark is not an issue, as long as it's from a reputable supplier that washes it good.  Bark from wood that has been aged outside, with no cleaning? ...not so good!  The main problem with that bark is it has mold, fungus, dust, critters, etc... in it.  The sources I mentioned thoroughly wash their wood.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 09:05:12 AM »
Steve,
My table saw does a great job making big ones into small ones.  Plus, I get to gather some sawdust.  Do you own a stationary power saw?
No, I don't have a table saw; I have been using a chisel and hammer to split mine.   This has worked well with the fruitawood that I got, but I was a bit concerned by the size of the mainegrillingwood chunks.  We'll see what happens - I ordered the sampler box last night...time to try some variety in my life!   ;D
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

kelvinator

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 02:10:59 PM »
Some of the Maine Grilling Woods are too big for the box, luckily my girlfriends father has a Jet bandsaw to cut em down haha
Smokin-it #2
Kelvin from Bellevue, WA
New to smoking but worked as a cook for 4 years

kelvinator

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 02:18:43 PM »
I got a bit annoyed when I opened the bag of black cherry I got from Maine Grilling Woods and noticed mold on the outside of several of the pieces.
Smokin-it #2
Kelvin from Bellevue, WA

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 02:25:54 PM »
Ugh, that's definitely bad news....I would demand a refund.
~Martin

kelvinator

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 02:36:52 PM »
Yeah I could do that...I need to check some of the other bags. I got the sampler pack. Is the mold a big deal though? Its just a bit on the outside of a couple pieces figured I could wash it off or use the bandsaw to cut part of it off. I kinda figured only mold growing within the wood was an issue.
Smokin-it #2
Kelvin from Bellevue, WA

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 02:40:31 PM »
Some molds have spores that shouldn't be anywhere near food.
Mold or mildew on wood can produce nasty off-flavors.
~Martin

kelvinator

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 02:47:41 PM »
Touche, I used some pieces from the bag that had no mold so hopefully it won't harm my current cook. Although the temps should kill any sports in there. I will shoot off an email when I get the chance to MGW's and see what they say.
Smokin-it #2
Kelvin from Bellevue, WA

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 05:21:36 PM »
Mold or moss on the bark? 

Guess I'm asking what I should be looking for.  Some of mine had green moss on the bark, but wood looked fine.

Picture? 

Thanks for heads up