Author Topic: Poulet Fumé - BRINED  (Read 16869 times)

Toni Baloney

• Thank heaven for little grills
Poulet Fumé - BRINED
« on: January 13, 2015, 03:30:26 PM »
Today I smoked a chicken for the first time.  I used a locally-raised, free-range, organic chicken that weighed in at 5 pounds.  I skinned it first, then using diggingdogfarm's amazing equilibrium brine/cure calculator, (factoring out the estimated weight of the bones as well as the skin I removed), I made a 2% salt and 2% sugar brine.  I used no other seasonings - just salt and brown sugar - nothing else.  I let the bird brine for 24 hours in the fridge.

Out of the fridge this morning, I cut out the backbone and flattened the bird (spatchcocked), then laid it directly on a rack and placed it in the middle position on my SI-1.  I didn't add any sort of rub to the surface of the skinned bird - bare flesh, and nothing else.  With two chunks of apple wood (3 ounces total) in the wood box, I inserted a temperature probe into the thickest part of the breast meat, then set the smoker to 200℉.  After an hour I raised the temp to 225℉ and in another 2 hours (3 hours total) the internal temp was 165℉.

This smoke was purely experimental for me - I had no specific meal planned for it.  After it rested for 10 or so minutes, I separated the bird into two equal halves.  I devoured (for lunch) the leg and most of the thigh, then cut through the breast meat, ate a slice, and found it was both juicy and tender.

Repeat - very juicy and very tender - I couldn't be happier with the results. 

The amount of smoke was perfect.  The smoky flavor had thoroughly permeated the flesh of the leg and thigh - yum.  The center-most part of the breast meat had some smoke flavor, but less so.

I took the other half and vacuum sealed it to spend a day or two in the fridge where, from what I've read on this forum and elsewhere, I can expect the smoke flavor to penetrate deeper into the flesh. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 03:39:28 PM by Toni Baloney »
. . . Tonⓘ from Boise

• I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat only vegetables.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Poulet Fumé - BRINED
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 04:16:00 PM »
Looks good. If it tastes that good without any seasoning, just think how good it would taste with some flavor enhancement.

I usually just keep it pretty simple and use McCormick's Chicken Seasoning. But my Excalibur Smokehouse BBQ Seasoning that I usually use for ribs/butts works really well on poultry too.

Nice job!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 04:42:14 PM »
That chicken looks like it had some work done.  LOL! 

Nice moisture on the breast meat.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 05:47:05 PM »
+1 on the moisture. Nice job.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 07:24:03 PM »
Poulet wha??  Tish!  That's French!!  lol! ;) (Let's see who remembers that reference).

Pretty cool idea, Toni!  Brings new meaning to "naked chicken;" can't get much more naked than that!  Kudos on learning the equilibrium brine technique! ;)   Nice job!  A little mild poultry seasoning might have kicked it up a notch, but that's definitely your choice!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Toni Baloney

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 08:09:18 PM »
As I mentioned in my original post, I'm still in the experimental stages of learning how to use my new smoker/toy, and control the results of the food that comes from it.  To get of grasp of managing the smoke (too little, too much, too long), my logic behind my initial "Plain Jane" smoking, is that some strong seasoning could mask the flavor and intensity of the smoke that I'm trying to evaluate.  I believe I've got that down, and I love seasoned food, so that's next.

For example, I didn't put the ketchup-based glaze on my first smoked-then-grilled meatloaf.  After it cooled in the fridge, the next day I cut thick slices and coated both cut sides with the glaze before grilling it - and it was delicious.  The second time I did the same thing, but I put NOTHING on the cut slices before they went onto the grill, then passed the warm glaze at the table instead - it had a much better smoke flavor.  I had a hunch that the glaze was masking at least some of the smoky flavor of the meatloaf, and my hunch was right. 

If I ever smoke a meatloaf again to eat without grilling further, I don't think I'd cover it in glaze before smoking it, but instead put a glaze on after the smoke was complete and do a reverse sear. 
. . . Tonⓘ from Boise

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 08:15:00 PM »
Didn't catch the Gomez Adams reference, Toni?  Dang, I thought it was funny! ::)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Toni Baloney

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 08:18:19 PM »
I guess not … I used to watch the show all the time, but don't remember this one. 
. . . Tonⓘ from Boise

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 08:32:20 PM »
Ha!  On the original TV show The Addams Family, anytime Morticia would speak French, Gomez would drop whatever he was doing and say "Tish!  That's French!," and start kissing up her arm...so funny!  John Astin and Carolyn Jones were such a perfect cast for those parts.  Sorry for the obscure reference - just popped into my head! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

Toni Baloney

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 08:40:58 PM »
Aha, I do remeber that now - Gomez going nuts when she spoke French.  That show used to crack me up.  These days it's all "reality" stuff that bores the H out of me.  I still miss F-Troop - now that was entertainment!!
. . . Tonⓘ from Boise

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 07:15:29 PM »
Good stuff back then!
Tony from NW Arkansas