Author Topic: Today is the day!  (Read 15795 times)

Longhornamus

Re: Today is the day!
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2015, 10:30:02 AM »
Great points Bob! These can definitely affect the moisture and taste results. The time that it took to get to 195 falls pretty closely in line with what others are reporting with the smaller cuts.

It seems that it is becoming a common theme when people smoke smaller cuts of meat. Unfortunately, there just isn't enough mass in the smoker and it affects the results.

You are much better off smoking a 7-10 pound butt, and then freezing leftovers. I think the smallest one I have smoked was around the lower 7ish range and it still turned out good, but I don't think I would try one smaller than that. Based on what we have been seeing here, it seems that when you get down to the 5 pound butts and the 3-5 lb brisket flats that you fight a little bit of an uphill battle to make them come out as well. For a smaller butt, I think I would just take it to 175 degrees and slice it instead of pulling.

Like I said, I haven't bought a smaller one, but my guess is that there isn't as much fat in a smaller one which could also lead to the issue. This would also lend better to slicing.
Gregg, I agree completely. The next one will be in the 7-10lb range as recommended. Your assessment is correct, there was not very much juice leakage in the drip pan. On my old pit I was used to seeing a steady stream of goodness dripping down into the bucket. I also found that there is no time savings for going smaller on the meat. Can't really say why but luckily most of the cook took place while I was snoring......
Keith from Texas
Longhorns fanatic
Smokin-It #2

kz0m

• Carl
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2016, 02:44:05 PM »
Way to go, Keith!  Congrats on the first smoke.   I love doing chicken in the #2...I am doing a whole 8# chicken today.   Try some chicken thighs--they make great pulled chicken!   Chicken breasts are also a favorite here...if you try the skinless ones, wrap them in bacon to avoid the meat drying out.  Cheers!

Steve, regarding smoking just chicken breasts, could we just brine and put a rub on them to keep them moist?  Just curious, thanks for the info.

Carl
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2016, 07:09:19 PM »
Carl, I'm a dark meat guy so I smoke quarters and that is exactly what I do.  Breasts might be a little harder to keep moist but I'd try it.  I've also read some guys put some bacon over the breasts to help keep them moist.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2016, 09:29:50 AM »
Bacon over a trailer hitch would be good....who cares what it's there for.  ;D
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2016, 11:19:39 AM »
You can even get fancy with it if you like the weave.

Model 4, Harrisville, Utah