Author Topic: Today is the day!  (Read 15797 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Today is the day!
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2015, 07:38:24 PM »
Nice job, Keith!  Great to hear of a successful first smoke! ;D 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2015, 10:40:19 AM »
Way to go, Keith!  Congrats on the first smoke.   I love doing chicken in the #2...I am doing a whole 8# chicken today.   Try some chicken thighs--they make great pulled chicken!   Chicken breasts are also a favorite here...if you try the skinless ones, wrap them in bacon to avoid the meat drying out.  Cheers!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2015, 11:13:47 AM »
Congrats Keith! You're gonna love the ribs! I have two chickens in the freeze biding their time for a smoke but I currently have cheese & bacon smoking....so much to do so little time.  8)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Longhornamus

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2015, 05:16:44 PM »
Steve, thighs are on the schedule for next week!

Bob, mmmmmm.....cheese and bacon......

Photo of drumsticks as promised.
Keith from Texas
Longhorns fanatic
Smokin-It #2

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2015, 05:23:48 PM »
Nice looking drumsticks Keith!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Longhornamus

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2015, 05:27:15 PM »
I got up at 5:30am. this morning for the rib cook. Two hours later, patting myself on the back and basking in the satisfied feeling of a BBQ going so smoothly, and BAAM!!! Nope, not the sound of my smoker blowing up, it was the sound of my palm slapping my forehead -I forgot to put a water pan in.....well, after searching high and low for a small loaf pan I put together a quick and dirty foil "boat" to put water in.

Here are a few photos of the cook. The finished product just shows 1/2 of the rack because I was too lazy to grab the other one. And before anyone nabs me for developing foolish habits the foil was just used after removal from smoker so we could put our side dishes together.

Last note: Best ribs that I have done to date. It really has shined a light on just how much "over-smoking" I was doing to my food. They had great flavor and were not over powered by the smoke flavor. I am certain there is plenty of room to grow with cooking the ribs but for a first attempt it is a good platform to start from.

Keith from Texas
Longhorns fanatic
Smokin-It #2

Longhornamus

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2015, 05:29:18 PM »
Nice looking drumsticks Keith!

Thank you Bob! Man this smoker has got me on a BBQ high!
Keith from Texas
Longhorns fanatic
Smokin-It #2

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2015, 07:31:35 PM »
Keith, if that's the worst you do, you have nothing to complain about! Nice ribs!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Longhornamus

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2015, 08:38:29 PM »
Keith, if that's the worst you do, you have nothing to complain about! Nice ribs!

Bob, I know, I know, it's just that I was so proud that I remembered to poke a hole through the foil at the drain hole this time.....
Keith from Texas
Longhorns fanatic
Smokin-It #2

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2015, 11:17:44 AM »
 :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2015, 08:50:25 PM »
Nice job, Keith! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Longhornamus

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2015, 08:31:43 AM »
I tried a 5lb'er on Saturday night but something went wrong. I set the temp to 225, put the Butt on second rack from top, inserted the meat probe (which was not too easy on the 5lb'er) and let her fly. The temp swings would go from 241° down to 218° which I figured was normal. It took 14.5hrs for that piece of meat to hit 195. When I took it off I double foiled it and placed in a cooler with towels. The bark was, well, actually like trying to eat bark...but the rest of it was not too bad. It was not to the dried out stage but it was going there in a hurry. There was not much juices in the meat, nor in the drip pan. I think next time I will try with a larger Butt.

Now for the good news. We made up a batch of the Neely's Sweet & Spicy Coleslaw and it was fantastic!
Keith from Texas
Longhorns fanatic
Smokin-It #2

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2015, 09:32:44 AM »
Keith, two things come to mind. Did you brine and did you have a juice pan? Both help with moistness.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2015, 09:41:09 AM »
Great points Bob! These can definitely affect the moisture and taste results. The time that it took to get to 195 falls pretty closely in line with what others are reporting with the smaller cuts.

It seems that it is becoming a common theme when people smoke smaller cuts of meat. Unfortunately, there just isn't enough mass in the smoker and it affects the results.

You are much better off smoking a 7-10 pound butt, and then freezing leftovers. I think the smallest one I have smoked was around the lower 7ish range and it still turned out good, but I don't think I would try one smaller than that. Based on what we have been seeing here, it seems that when you get down to the 5 pound butts and the 3-5 lb brisket flats that you fight a little bit of an uphill battle to make them come out as well. For a smaller butt, I think I would just take it to 175 degrees and slice it instead of pulling.

Like I said, I haven't bought a smaller one, but my guess is that there isn't as much fat in a smaller one which could also lead to the issue. This would also lend better to slicing.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Longhornamus

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2015, 10:26:09 AM »
Keith, two things come to mind. Did you brine and did you have a juice pan? Both help with moistness.
Bob I did remember the pan this time! I did not however brine it. I just got in the "Briner" buckets (small and large) and will brine the next one. Can't wait!
Keith from Texas
Longhorns fanatic
Smokin-It #2