Author Topic: Today is the day!  (Read 15793 times)

Longhornamus

Re: Today is the day!
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 12:30:24 PM »
Still drizzling outside. I caught the little fella looking out the window.
Keith from Texas
Longhorns fanatic
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 12:32:17 PM »
Too funny, but I am sure the sun will shine again in Texas!   Actually, while I don't prefer it, these SI smokers work fine in the rain as well.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 02:25:37 PM »
On Christmas day, I had to hedge and park on the edge of the garage.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 05:35:26 PM »
Good move!  I have done the same on occasion when I needed to smoke and wasn't sure about how much rain was coming.   I purchased a floor fan as well for the garage just to make sure that the smoke was exiting away from the house  ::)
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Longhornamus

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 07:55:18 PM »
I have had plans to cover the concrete pad where my other pits currently reside, guess I need to snap to it. My garage is not too big to begin with and is currently occupied with a sports car that gets taken care of more than I do........

I really am just being facetious, we do like getting the rain. There will be lots of days to tend the smoker. Another reason to be excited about this smoker -it will get downright hot and humid in these parts. I won't have to sit in miserable pool of my own sweat while it does all of the work, yeah baby!
Keith from Texas
Longhorns fanatic
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 09:00:21 PM »
Yeah, Keith, sure nice to "check the smoker" by looking out the window a few times, while enjoying the A/C and a cold one, on those hot summer days! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2015, 09:03:37 PM »
Keith, the days of enjoying excellent Q are just beginning. I have the #3 for 19 months and can't believe the stuff that is produced.  I smile every day.  Enjoy
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Longhornamus

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2015, 01:52:41 PM »
Alright guys, after a couple of rainy days and a full 26 hr work day ending at 3:30am this morning (getting too old for that.....) I am finally breaking in the smoker. I started the break-in and went to the store to find some meat. When I am good with the break-in I am going to start easy and throw on some chicken drumsticks. I bought some ribs and a small Pork Butt as well for Saturday and Sunday cooks. Figured, baptism by fire.....

Anyway, can you guys recommend an estimate on what the best temp for the drumsticks would be and about how long I should expect them to cook for?

Thanks in advance. It is such a beautiful cool day out today!!!

Sorry, forgot to add that I downloaded the Smoking Times, Temps and Wood document and laminated it. It shows Chicken Thighs at a 250° smoking temp, for 2-4 hrs. with a finished temp at 165°. If I do not hear differently I will run with this, as all of the other chicken parts are basically showing the same time and temps.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 02:09:41 PM by Longhornamus »
Keith from Texas
Longhorns fanatic
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2015, 02:36:08 PM »
Get ready for some fun and good smoked meat!   For drumsticks, I would estimate 2.5 hours with a IT of 165F.  You could set the smoker all the way to 250 (which some do for chicken), but I usually go with something like 225-235F.    Be prepared that the skin on the drumsticks may end up a bit rubbery, not crispy.   You can crisp up the skin by putting the sticks on a gas grill or under a broiler when you are finished smoking, if you want to crisp the skin.   If this is the plan, then you might want to remove the drumsticks at around 160IT, and they will reach 165 when grilling/broiling.    Let us know how you make out!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Longhornamus

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 02:40:57 PM »
Thank you Steve for the quick response. I was going to weigh some wood for the cook and realize that my little digital reloading scale is woefully inadequate for the task. I sure thought I had a good plan to dual purpose that scale......well, I will just add one of the "logs" that came with the smoker and hope that it is not too much.
Keith from Texas
Longhorns fanatic
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2015, 04:05:00 PM »
The hickory dowels that come with the smoker are typically about 2.5-3.0 lbs, so I think one of those will be perfect for your Chicken smoke. I would try to find one of the medium sized ones. Not the biggest in the bag, but not the smallest. I ordered a 5lb bag from Smokin-It and I have a nice range of sizes in my bag.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Longhornamus

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2015, 05:03:15 PM »
Thank you Gregg. Loaded one "Log". And, like the oaf that I am, an hour into the innagural cook I was getting some wierd temp readings and made the call to open the box. What I found was a drumstick skewered to the temp probe like they had been dating for years....After righting that wrong and close the box, I berate myself for not paying attention and it dawned on me that I had not put a hole in the foil at the bottom drain.....aaaarrrrrgggghhhh!!! Idiot moves 2, Keith 0......
Keith from Texas
Longhorns fanatic
Smokin-It #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2015, 07:03:08 PM »
No worries... I doubt the drumsticks would be producing much moisture, so the hole in the bottom on the foil probably won't matter.   You are not the first to forget to open the hole!   :D
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2015, 07:18:26 PM »
No worries... I doubt the drumsticks would be producing much moisture, so the hole in the bottom on the foil probably won't matter.   You are not the first to forget to open the hole!   :D

Yeah, I'm one of the ones that made that mistake once!  Pretty critical on a pork butt to have that hole open!! :o   Actually, I have a different opinion on the hole than Steve - it's not just the drain hole, it's the air hole!  Your smoker sucks fresh air in through that hole, and blows heat/smoke out the top vent hole.  Probably not a big deal on a 2-hour smoke, but anything longer, and you wood will stop smoking.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Longhornamus

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2015, 07:36:32 PM »
Well guys I let the chicken cook until about 10-15 minutes after the IT hit 165. I did not know how far I could trust the probe I stuck in one of the drumsticks. When I opened the door they looked like they had a nice color to them, clear juices running out of a few and they smelled heavenly. I have to say that I am a 95% pork and beef guy but if this smoker is going to cook chicken like this I am all in! It was fantastic and perfectly done as far as I could tell. I am amazed. I have cooked chicken decent before but this stuff had a good smoke flavor that was not overpowering and I did not have to watch it like a hawk.

I will post photos later, but all I did for prep was pour some Italian dressing over the drumsticks and rubbed some Texas BBQ rub (Original) on them to form a paste. Let them sit for an hour in fridge while getting the smoker foiled and ready. They cooked at 235 for right around 2.5hrs.

In the morning the pork ribs will hit the smoker. Can't wait!
Keith from Texas
Longhorns fanatic
Smokin-It #2