Author Topic: Plate size?  (Read 8286 times)

Limey

Re: Plate size?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 06:52:04 PM »
Greg, I think that Dave is exactly right-a secondary smoke generator is really helpful. I use a Smoke Daddy externally mounted to the SI and essentially use the SI as an insulated box for really cold smoking. The smoke quality from the SD is arguably slightly less good than that from the SI but is genuine tbs and works fine. It also solves the problem of internal smoke generators which are tough to keep lit given how air tight the SI units are. See my post "Cold Smoking in a Hot Climate" (sorry, have not figured out links)
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 10:02:07 PM »
Roger,

I was planning on using a Amazen Pellet Tube Smoker 6" that I own. It will produce smoke for 1 hour, do you think I need the 12" one?

Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 10:44:36 PM »
Greg, I think the tube still relies on the element for heat? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2015, 07:38:27 AM »
Greg, I think the tube still relies on the element for heat?

With the tube, you fill it with pellets and then light with a torch. I use this on my LP grill for smoke.

Greg

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2015, 10:48:29 AM »
I have heard they are hard to keep lit in our smokers?
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

Limey

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 11:01:53 AM »
Greg, I have no experience with the Amazen smokers. Others seem to have had problems keeping them lit with the relatively low air flow in the SIs so that is why I use an external smoke generator and just pipe the smoke in through the blow hole.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 11:45:46 AM »
I have both an A-MAZE-N tube and a tray smoker and have found that keeping the tube going with pellets is easier than the tray with pellets or dust.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.