Author Topic: Plate size?  (Read 8533 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Plate size?
« on: January 12, 2015, 06:40:36 PM »
Are the cold plates the same size as a rack?  I'm contemplating how to fabricate one.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Plate size?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 08:51:57 PM »
Yep - same size.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 09:29:34 PM »
I would think that the plate would be a little shorter from front to back so smoke could go around. Maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch shorter. You would still want them to be same size to fit in the side rail assemblies. I would also suggest maybe 1/4 inch thick of maybe alum. or another light metal.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 10:31:40 PM »
I would think that the plate would be a little shorter from front to back so smoke could go around. Maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch shorter. You would still want them to be same size to fit in the side rail assemblies. I would also suggest maybe 1/4 inch thick of maybe alum. or another light metal.

Bill, smoke has no problem getting around the cold smoke plate, as it's not "airtight."  As for the thickness...the whole idea is insulation, so a thin plate (as you suggested) will not work.  It's a 1" chamber, filled with insulation, to absorb the heat and keep it cool above.  I would suggest buying a cold smoke plate for one of your smokers, and you'll see what I'm talking about.  I have one for my #1, and it works great.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

elkins20

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 10:40:34 PM »
Hey Tony, was just trying to help as Dave was thinking about fabricating one. If you get the metal too thick will not slide into the side rail assemblies, right? Was not sure if the smoke would get around it. But, am not really keen on cold smoking so cannot say one way or another. But, if there is enough room from the back to the back of the cold plate and the front door and the front of the cold plate that the smoke can travel around then there would not be a problem in making it the same size. I would still go with a light metal, rather than one made of hardened steel as it would be pretty heavy depending on the thickness of the plate :-\.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 10:53:18 PM »
No problem, Bill.  This is a pretty old post, and Dave actually came up with his own using tiles.  Not sure where it is, but you can probably find it.  I was addressing why the manufactured plate is built the way it is.
Tony from NW Arkansas

elkins20

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 01:05:08 AM »
Oh yes, now that you mention it I remember reading that about using a ceramic tile or something along that line. Finally received my switch for the #1, now need to make a trip to Lowe's to pick up some 14 gauge wire that I forgot on my last shopping spree. I plan on tomorrow doing the smokers. Hopefully will be another cool day.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 01:57:32 PM »
My ultimate solution was 2 layers of this.

elkins20

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 05:13:52 PM »
That is a great idea Dave. Just finished doing yard work. It is nasty hot, the temp. on my front porch is 98 degrees, but feels like it is way hotter. Going to wait to do smokers tomorrow morning.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 03:35:39 PM »
My ultimate solution was 2 layers of this.

Let us know how this works out. I have some 18" tiles from our floor and may cut two of them.

Thanks Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 09:17:33 PM »
It works great, Greg.  I wrap the rack in foil and stack two layers of tile on that. 

elkins20

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 09:32:43 PM »
Hey Dave, Could you send me your recipe to inject beef briskets please? I have a point that I want to get ready for a smoke tomorrow morning.

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 03:32:11 PM »
It works great, Greg.  I wrap the rack in foil and stack two layers of tile on that.

Dave,

Do you add a pan of ice on top?

Thanks Greg

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 04:13:49 PM »

Dave,

Do you add a pan of ice on top?

Thanks Greg
I add my pan of ice directly under the cheese rack.  With my tall unit, I can get a lot of separation from the heat source to my cheese.  So, I use a 3 rack approach, tile and foil heat baffle directly over the heat source, an ice pan rack and a cheese rack as high in the smoker is possible.  But for you Florida guys, a secondary smoke generator might just be mandatory. 

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 04:18:48 PM »
Cool, this will go on my to do list!

Greg