Author Topic: First smoke on #1 and learnings  (Read 5151 times)

Elliottbte

First smoke on #1 and learnings
« on: January 10, 2015, 08:24:37 AM »
I opened my #1 on Christmas day and had my first smoke a few days later.  Had company over so put two 6.5lb butts in that I had brined with the recipe in the pork section.  I'd say that's about the limit for what fits in the #1, which is fine for me.  I got over 15 full portions out of that 13lbs so I think I'll always plan a pound of uncooked bone-in butt per person so that I have plenty for the meal with some leftovers to boot.  Cooking time was right at 1.5 hrs/lb.

A couple discoveries for me.  After resting the wrapped butts for 1.5 hours, there was little juice in the pan.  This was a surprise and a bit disappointing.  The meat pulled pork was great though. I used 4oz Apple and 2oz hickory after having always used all hickory before. I just used bone suckin good rub rather than make my own. Everyone loved the mellow flavor and bark.  I think the apple and the brine were the key to that, along with the #1 of course which I never opened until the meat came to 200.

When going back to clean up the #1, I found a gold mine.  The drip pan under the #1 had all the juice I could ever want.  I had lined the pan with foil and I used that to lift out the re-solidified fat and what was left was perfect clear Amber juice.  I added some of this to the pulled pork I stored in Tupperware to add moisture.  When my son and I microwaved some the next day for a snack, it was awesome.  So awesome, I think the next butts I do, I'm going to smoke a day ahead, pulling the pork and putting it in a crock pot with extra juice added and put it in the fridge.  The next day I'll just warm it up slowly with some occasional stirring in the crock pot and it will be ready to serve.  This has three benefits.  First, it tastes great with great moisture; second, I can better guarantee dinner time and interact more with guests; and third, I can drink beer over two days of "smoking" not just one. 

I want to thank Steve at Smokin-It for making a great product with service that matches the same quality, and to all that post in this forum for their great information.  This #1 may be the best Christmas present ever.

Now I'm off to research how to do my first brisket ....
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: First smoke on #1 and learnings
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 11:15:50 AM »
Elliot, welcome from Colorado. Looks like you are well on your way to great Q.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Walt

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 12:04:10 PM »
I am a fan of brineing & injecting brisket.  Check under beef for more details.  Ed uses more of the traditional Franklin method, which is also good.  Something for everyone over there.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 02:28:37 PM »
Wow, Elliot!  You really have a great start there!  Sounds like a great first smoke, which will only get better over time!  The Little Guy is a great smoker, I can certainly attest to that.  Sounds like you have a very good grasp on techniques, and now you'll hone them to make the techniques that work best for you (like the leftover juice in the pan).  You also discovered the magic of resting the meat - all the juice in the foil gets reabsorbed into the meat! :D

The crock pot method you mentioned works great - I use it a lot!

Glad to have you with us.  Might put a first name and town in your signature line - that way, we won't call you Elliot if that's not your first name. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 10:14:21 PM »
I am a fan of brineing & injecting brisket.  Check under beef for more details.  Ed uses more of the traditional Franklin method, which is also good.  Something for everyone over there.

+1, I did the brining and injecting brisket for my 3rd smoke and it turned out fantastic. Family all loved the outcome and I just had the last of it for lunch today! It was so good as a brisket sandwich on a bun.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

Elliottbte

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 08:21:04 AM »

Glad to have you with us.  Might put a first name and town in your signature line - that way, we won't call you Elliot if that's not your first name. ;)

DM .... Consider it done !  And thanks for all you and the others do on this forum.

Brisket is on tap for next weekend. I've been checking the forum for ideas but if you can point me to the best posts, that would be great.  I'll be doing about a 6 lb flat I think.  I'm especially curious about cooking time in the Smokin-It.  I do not plan on brining this time. I'm also looking for simple rub ideas as I want this brisket to be mostly about the smoke (pecan and hickory?)and not so much about flavoring. Thanks in advance.
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 10:08:26 AM »
Brad, do a search in beef for "Franklin style" an you will find a simple one.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 02:42:40 PM »
Brad, thanks! 

You should try a brined brisket - especially with a flat alone, it does make a difference.  But, if you just want to inject, here's what I do:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=979.0
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Elliottbte

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 09:56:42 PM »
You should try a brined brisket - especially with a flat alone, it does make a difference.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=979.0
DM, ok, I'll go with your brine recipe that I used on the pork.  I didn't use pink salt (Instacure #1) last time because I didn't have any but I found it at a local Sportsman Warehouse so I'll add it this time.  Thanks.
Brad from Chattanooga
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 08:46:11 PM »
You'll get a pretty "faux" smoke ring, Brad! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas