Author Topic: First Smoke...  (Read 3369 times)

CoyoteFlatz

First Smoke...
« on: January 02, 2015, 05:08:02 PM »
Got the #2 just before Christmas and seasoned, then because of this busy season I didn't get to try it out till New Year's Day. 

Did a small (2.02 lb try tip).  Seasoned with SPOG, wrapped and into the fridge the night before.  Next day into a cold smoker with 3.4 oz Hickory (I think that what was sent with the unit) for a little over 1-1/2 hours, pulled @ 135 degrees IT, then seared both sides for 3 min each, foiled and rest for 30 min.

The result was, a touch over done and the smoke flavor and smell was a just too much for me, but was very tender for such a lean cut of beef.

Notes taken and we'll change a few things next time.  Now on to some port tender loins...

Cheers,
Don

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: First Smoke...
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 05:39:29 PM »
Nice job!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 11:37:17 AM »
Well done, Don!   A couple more smokes and I bet you'll have the timing and smoke down pat.  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 04:59:58 PM »
Looks great, Don!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

1stlink

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 02:24:23 PM »
Man that looks great. :) Good luck smoking in your new #2 Don.

Mine is in the mail..   :D

CoyoteFlatz

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 02:55:58 PM »
That's super, 1stlink.  I'm sure you'll be happy with the #2.  It's mostly just the two of us also and every once and a while maybe up to 10 or 12 adults and children.  I know on my old pellet smoker, that's had a little less same size chamber, I could do a 10 pound + butt and while it was resting cook up some wicked baked beans.  And we would still have a little left over.

Cheers,
Don

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 03:47:50 PM »
That picture clearly illustrates a huge difference in the #2 and #3. The #3 has enough space between the first rack and the top of the smoker to accommodate that or even a bigger roast. Sorry you had mixed results I recommend trying half as much wood. possibly a fruit wood it will have a lighter flavor than the sample hickory.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 09:42:19 PM »
Don, I love your plate of carbs to accompany the meat.   :)
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

CoyoteFlatz

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 11:36:02 PM »
Thanks for the comments...to clarify, the smoke smell was the bad part.  The flavor, other than being a little med/well was good, juicy, and tender.

Now onto the next adventure!

Cheers,
Don