Author Topic: Power cord and temp probe?  (Read 13811 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
Power cord and temp probe?
« on: January 03, 2015, 10:01:47 AM »
When I do my controller bypass and permanent temp probe mod, I'd like to change the exit location of the cords.  I've seen Divot's back panel effort on the temp probe, has anyone else changed exit location?  On a model 4, it makes no sense to run everything out the bottom and then have to go 4' back up to the top. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Power cord and temp probe?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 04:37:26 PM »
Dave, I'm not sure I've seen anyone else to the back panel hole with a grommet, but I like it.  The only thing I would do different is size the grommet a little better! :-[
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 02:18:24 PM »
FYI,
I went to the hardware store on break today and with a little spit, I was able to get a 7/16" bolt through a 1/4" ID rubber grommet.  But just to be safe, I also picked up a 5/16" ID grommet.  When I get home, I'll substitute a little dish washing soap for the spit and see what I can accomplish. 

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 03:20:19 PM »
Dave, I was thinking about a similar thing even though I have a #2. It makes more sense to me from a keeping moisture out perspective to have it on the bottom. On my #2 the round trip to the PID if I had it on the top isn't as much but it does sort of duplicate the real estate. Interesting on the grommet. I am having a hard time finding the hardware for the addition of my new Auber (Thanks Santa!) especially for the launch toggle that some of the guys have put in. I can't find a dpdt switch rated at 15 A and 120 VAC.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 03:45:53 PM »
One solution if someone was really concerned about exposed moisture.

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/sea-dog-stainless-steel-midget-vent-81957.html

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 04:25:57 PM »
Why not waterproof glands? They're specifically designed for challenges such as this.
They tighten up tight against the cord and are available in various sizes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZ9Y6G6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

~Martin

Walt

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 06:41:20 PM »
Bob,  I did a parts list on each project (temp probe permanent install & bypass).  The rocket launcher & DPDT 15A switch can be found @ Electronics123.com.  I had ordered an extra missile launcher but mailed it to a friend in need, sorry.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 09:19:28 PM »
I ended up using the 5/16" ID grommet as it was a lot colder outside tonight than the hardware store and that 1/4" ID grommet was tighter than a well diggers arse.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 10:59:04 PM »
Nice install, Dave!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 01:00:55 PM »
Dave, nice install. I am planning on mine this weekend. I saw a post (can't remember if it was you) to install on the bottom rather than the back for the Auber temp cord. I am putting a switch in too but I wonder if having the grommet on the back leaves it open get moisture in.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 03:31:51 PM »
Bob,
I am not personally worried about moisture but as I alluded to in another thread, there are a number of ways to mitigate it if one was.  The fact remains that with a model 4, the cord couldn't come out of the bottom and still reach the top.  The Auber would be sitting on the ground.   :o

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 09:34:49 PM »
I'm hoping to install the bypass switch this weekend along with the probe. I'll probably bring the wire out the back so I don't run out of cord. Walt, going with a blue cover to change up the style.  :) It's also my wife's favorite color which helps get her in the smoking game too..  8) I'll post when done.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 03:35:27 AM »
The missile covers are cool. But I wonder if a waterproof cover like this would more functional as it would keep water/moisture out of the switch:
http://www.electronics123.com/components/switches-and-relays/Toggle-Switch-Cover-Waterproof.html

Or even better, I wonder if the waterproof covered switch would fit under the missile cover?

Seems like the best of both worlds right?
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 09:22:03 AM »
Good idea Gregg! But electronics 123 wants $7.95 for s&h!! I think I'll find it local.  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 10:25:35 AM »
Yeah, that shipping is pretty crazy for a lightweight and small piece.

When I eventually do this, I'll try locally too or Amazon or the like where you can find free shipping.

Here are some options:

Waterproof On/Off Switch
http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-ON-OFF-Terminal-Locking-Toggle/dp/B00NZ08F9U/ref=sr_1_47?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1420643872&sr=1-47&keywords=waterproof+electronics+on%2Foff+switch

Waterproof On/Off/On Switch (with the three positions, I am not sure how and if this would fit under a missile launcher cover or not)
http://www.amazon.com/4pcs-Toggle-Switch-Waterproof-Cover/dp/B00R1LP95C/ref=sr_1_62?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1420643912&sr=1-62&keywords=waterproof+electronics+on%2Foff+switch
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.