Author Topic: It won't fit!  (Read 21985 times)

1stlink

Re: It won't fit!
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2015, 10:11:51 AM »
Martha,
I have not heard of anyone that didn't like/love their #2 and you certainly are a very happy customer. I have a FoodSaver and a cart, all I have to do is make a final decision on a Smoker size.
I do appreciate your input and you make a compelling statement in favor of the #2

Cheers, Ralph

1stlink

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2015, 10:47:57 AM »
I think if you are waivering that close to getting a #3, you probably should just do it. In the end, when you figure how many years this thing will last the extra dollars will seem like nothing and the extra space that you will have for that rare occasion where you want to cook for a large group you'll be able to do it.

I am a single Dad, with two kids and love that I went with a #3. It is surprising how many opportunities that I get to cook for large groups, be it church potlucks, kids confirmation and graduations, block parties, family camping trips, etc.
Thanks for the feedback Gregg. I'll file it with the #3 PLUS Side as I continue struggling with this decision..  :-\
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 10:50:42 AM by 1stlink »

Walt

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2015, 11:25:25 AM »
I have never had a shotage of real estate in my #2.  However, I agree with Greg.  If the decision is cuasing anxiety, go with the #3.0.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

1stlink

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2015, 11:45:51 AM »
I have never had a shotage of real estate in my #2.  However, I agree with Greg.  If the decision is causing anxiety, go with the #3.0.
Hi Walt,
I wouldn't call it anxiety, more like cautious mail order shopping.. I'll be fine with either smoker.  ;D

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2015, 11:55:44 AM »
I think you are right 1st Link. I think you will be happy with either one.

The #2 is a really good averaged sized smoke that will meet most people's needs most of the time. But there is a reason that the #3 keeps selling out. ;)

This is really a very personal decision at this point. So, just let us know if you have any more technical questions and we'll be happy to help.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

1stlink

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2015, 12:20:51 PM »
hhmmmmm, #3 keeps selling out!  Not one of my points to consider but still interesting.  ;)

Thanks again to all in the "All Things Smoked" forum.

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2015, 02:55:46 PM »
If money isn't a concern, buy both! Then keep the one (or both) you like best and sell the other to the first person that tries your BBQ and says "I gotta get me one of those"!

I also agree with Martha in that you need to also have a good thermometer and foodsaver setup for leftovers. I didn't get a cart but with all the other important accessories added you will likely have a few more hundred dollars added to the bottom line.

Suggestion of things to consider getting with the smoker:
  • Temperature probes (like Maverick ET-733 or Auber)
  • Digital scale (measuring things like meats, wood, etc...)
  • Wood chunks (quality wood - search forums here...)
  • Slicing Knife and Fork
  • Recipes and ingredients for things like rubs and brines
  • Brining container(s)
  • Heat gloves, HD foil, saran wrap, mini-loaf pan(s), apple cider
  • and most importantly the MEATS!
I'm very happy with my #2 so far and don't yet see a need for a #3. But, if things change where I'm serving large groups of people then I'll figure out a way to acquire a new #3.  ;)
I like to camp a lot and plan to take my #2 smoker in the back of my pickup truck on occasion. I figure it's gonna weigh a bit less making it easier to load and unload.

Another thing to consider is the #2 is a 700 Watt (6 AMP) element and the #3 is 1200 Watt (10 AMP). This may have effects on how quickly the element gets to temp and smokes (or burns) the wood. Also, the #2 has a 35 pound capacity compared to the #3 which is 45 pounds. Is the 10 extra pounds of capacity really going to make or break the groups or meals you plan to serve?

Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2015, 04:11:47 PM »
First, I don't mean to cut the #2 down, because I think it is a great average size smoker and you can smoke a LOT of meat in a #2!

Here are just a few more observations about the differences:

I think the 35 verses 45 pound capacity is kind of a worthless rating. How is this calculated? I think a more effective measure would be usable space verses pounds. The length of the #3 gives you the capability to smoke a variety of meats whole verses having to cut them down in a #2. Admittedly, this isn't a huge deal. But, I prefer to cook most cuts whole instead of cutting them.

When cooking like pieces of meat I prefer to cook them on the same level. For example, you will get a lot more space between the meat if you want to smoke two pork butts on the same shelf. You "may" be able to do it on a #2, but they are going to be pretty close to each other and could affect heat flow.

Again, I think it is all about usable space. Here are the available square inches of the 2, 3, and 4.

#2 - 4,500
#3 - 6,600
#4 - 9,720

Technically, I could buy two #3's for less money than a #4 right? I would even have a lot more square inches. But the nice thing about the #4, is that you get additional height so you can do longer cuts of meat or even hang sausages and the like. Likewise, with the #3 verses the #2, you gain usable square inches lengthwise where you can fit larger cuts of meat instead of cutting them down.

The other thing is leftover smoked foods often increase in flavor after they have rested in the fridge/freezer. I always smoke more than I need and vacuum seal and freeze the leftovers. There is nothing like being able to pull a vacuum packed back of pulled pork out of the freezer on a freezing cold day where I don't have the time or feel like smoking in the cold.

OK, I will concede that if you plan on traveling with your smoker, the girth and heft of a #3 could be a factor. I have loaded my #3 by myself, but prefer not to. It is super easy with two people, but tricky with one.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Barrel99

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2015, 05:36:49 PM »
Keep in mind that whatever you order does not include shipping unless you pick it up. I had to add $175 for shipping my #3. Also like others stated, I want to be able to put full racks of ribs without cutting them in the box and not worry about how to fit them. That was my reason for buying. I will probably never fill it up.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

1stlink

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2015, 06:09:27 PM »
If money isn't a concern, buy both! Then keep the one (or both) you like best and sell the other to the first person that tries your BBQ and says "I gotta get me one of those"!

I also agree with Martha in that you need to also have a good thermometer and foodsaver setup for leftovers. I didn't get a cart but with all the other important accessories added you will likely have a few more hundred dollars added to the bottom line.

Suggestion of things to consider getting with the smoker:
  • Temperature probes (like Maverick ET-733 or Auber)
  • Digital scale (measuring things like meats, wood, etc...)
  • Wood chunks (quality wood - search forums here...)
  • Slicing Knife and Fork
  • Recipes and ingredients for things like rubs and brines
  • Brining container(s)
  • Heat gloves, HD foil, saran wrap, mini-loaf pan(s), apple cider
  • and most importantly the MEATS!
I'm very happy with my #2 so far and don't yet see a need for a #3. But, if things change where I'm serving large groups of people then I'll figure out a way to acquire a new #3.  ;)
I like to camp a lot and plan to take my #2 smoker in the back of my pickup truck on occasion. I figure it's gonna weigh a bit less making it easier to load and unload.

Another thing to consider is the #2 is a 700 Watt (6 AMP) element and the #3 is 1200 Watt (10 AMP). This may have effects on how quickly the element gets to temp and smokes (or burns) the wood. Also, the #2 has a 35 pound capacity compared to the #3 which is 45 pounds. Is the 10 extra pounds of capacity really going to make or break the groups or meals you plan to serve?
Thanks for your ideas & list Tony but I already have all that, Foodsaver, Maverick, briner jr, Knife lol, silicone gloves, etc., etc. Some of my old posts here show my Smokin-it #1 w/brined Butt, etc. Space is limited in Condo living, no yard and my alloted space for Q work is small. I'll post a pic if I can find it. (file too big, later from iPad maybe)
Thanks again
Ralph

1stlink

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2015, 06:15:23 PM »
Keep in mind that whatever you order does not include shipping unless you pick it up. I had to add $175 for shipping my #3. Also like others stated, I want to be able to put full racks of ribs without cutting them in the box and not worry about how to fit them. That was my reason for buying. I will probably never fill it up.
Yep, I hear you loud and clear. Shipping for #2 is almost $70 and certainly something to consider.  :(

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2015, 10:57:05 PM »
Ralph,  unless you really feel the need to smoke lots of big, whole, packer briskets and full (uncut) racks of ribs, the #2 will serve you very well.  I've done full packers in mine, up to about 11 pounds.  Even if I had a #3, I would still halve my rib racks; that way, I can put the thick ends on a lower rack, and the thin ends higher - they cook better that way.

Lots of opinions and options, but you need to let your needs, not opinions, determine your ideal size.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

1stlink

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2015, 05:32:53 AM »
Ralph,  unless you really feel the need to smoke lots of big, whole, packer briskets and full (uncut) racks of ribs, the #2 will serve you very well.  I've done full packers in mine, up to about 11 pounds.  Even if I had a #3, I would still halve my rib racks; that way, I can put the thick ends on a lower rack, and the thin ends higher - they cook better that way.

Lots of opinions and options, but you need to let your needs, not opinions, determine your ideal size.
Thanks again Tony for your input as it is much appreciated. Sometime yesterday it clicked in that I really only needed a model #2 but I decided to sleep on it. No change this a.m. I will be ordering model #2 today.
Hopefully Steve won't call out the firing squad for my back-and-forth ordering.  ???

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2015, 12:22:48 PM »
Congrats on making your decision. Now you can start the decision on your first smoke. ;)

I would recommend a Boston Butt. It is a super easy smoke and really gives you a feel for your new smoker. Tony has a good write-up with his Butt brine (highly recommended) in the following post:
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1012.0
Gregg - Fargo, ND

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2015, 12:53:10 PM »
So many choices, so little time....  :) Enjoy the first smoke. You will love it.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN