Author Topic: It won't fit!  (Read 21982 times)

1stlink

It won't fit!
« on: January 03, 2015, 03:23:32 AM »
Decisions decisions decisions do I want a #2 Or a  #3? We are empty-nester seniors and don't entertain a lot.

My real question is what won't fit in the #2? How about full racks of ribs and brisket?

Thanks

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: It won't fit!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 06:33:44 AM »
Racks on the #2 are about 15x15 inches.

Racks on the #3 are about 15 x 20 inches. 

If its just two of you the #2 should be fine.  The #3 would fit longer racks of ribs. 

John
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

1stlink

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 08:29:44 AM »
Thanks John. I was aware of the dimensions and I guess that I should have worded my post differently. I just wondered if #2 owners had any particular problems or shortcomings other than sheer volume, etc.
I would guess that Racks of Ribs need to be shortened. Brisket?? Other items??
Anyway I'm pretty sure that a #2 will be my best choice. No need to smoke empty space 99% of the time...   ???

I previously owned a #1 but that's another story.

es1025

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 09:32:44 AM »
I have a #3 no need to shorten ribs. A full rack fits nicely. You can fits two racks on a single rack.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

1stlink

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 09:46:57 AM »
Thanks es and yes, at 20" deep I would't expect any problem loading ribs with a #3.. Post was directed to #2 owners but all comments are appreciated.  ;D

bigbassnutt

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 10:30:43 AM »
I have a model 2 and have to cut my slabs of ribs in half. The other thing to consider is with the permanent mounted probe sometimes it is hard not to get the meat too close to it. I like to have a little space from the meat so it doesn't affect the temps it's reading. I just did a 10 lb turkey in mine and I just turned it a little to clear the probe. I really like my #2 but now that I have used it for over a year, if I had it to do over I would get the #3 for the extra depth. When your friends start tasting the food you produce out of one of these, you find yourself cooking a little extra each time!
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

1stlink

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 10:47:24 AM »
I have a model 2 and have to cut my slabs of ribs in half. The other thing to consider is with the permanent mounted probe sometimes it is hard not to get the meat too close to it. I like to have a little space from the meat so it doesn't affect the temps it's reading. I just did a 10 lb turkey in mine and I just turned it a little to clear the probe. I really like my #2 but now that I have used it for over a year, if I had it to do over I would get the #3 for the extra depth. When your friends start tasting the food you produce out of one of these, you find yourself cooking a little extra each time!
Thanks Mike, I kinda guessed that ribs would have to be cut and thank you for confirming. Size does matter.. lol. I'll give it more thought.  :-\

Walt

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 11:01:30 AM »
You can cook whole slabs of ribs diagnally.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 11:06:20 AM »
No problem with ribs in my #2. Have done a 13 lb turkey and a 10 lb brisket no problem. I would guess that hanging sausages might be an issue but I haven't tried that.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Walt

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 11:13:32 AM »
I did 28lbs of ribs @ once but had to cut them in half.  Turned out great.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 11:32:03 AM »
I have a #2 and can smoke more than enough for most occasions.   My kids got me the rib rack for the #2 for father's day...it has 7 slots and holds 3.5 racks of ribs, cut in half.  I also throw a couple of baked potatoes in the top rack.  That's more than enough ribs for my wife and kids, so I usually do 2 racks and foodsaver left overs.   

I can fit two 6# chickens side by side in the smoker, and I will occasionally do an 8# butt on one rack with no issues.   A 13# turkey fits nicely, and I have done a couple of 6# turkey breasts side by side on one rack.  When I do the mac & cheese smoke, I can fit a 12x9" pan on a shelf.   Other than that, it holds more than enough chicken breasts or thighs for pulled chicken, etc.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

1stlink

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 11:42:13 AM »
Thanks Walt, Bob & Steve,

I'm convinced that #2 will do fine for us and I'll be ordering as soon as I hear back from Steve.

I want to have the same setup as Walt's with the PID controller, etc. but I wanted to find out if an optional digital model was imminently available from the factory.

Thanks again all for the great feedback...  ;D

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 01:54:34 PM »
Fairly large ribs in a #2.  I needed two racks.  4 lbs

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

1stlink

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 02:30:19 PM »
As they say, one picture is worth 1000 words. those are great looking ribs and a very convincing reason to own a Smokin-it smoker...

Thanks for sharing John...

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 02:40:00 PM »
Nice pic!  I think the #2 will be perfect for you, 1stlink!  And thanks for your service!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2