Author Topic: Smoke #2 - Ribs and Mac N Cheese  (Read 3909 times)

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
Smoke #2 - Ribs and Mac N Cheese
« on: December 29, 2014, 01:04:48 AM »
This has been a fun journey. Tested this one by inviting the neighbors over for dinner tonight.

Prep (yesterday):
  • Bought supplies and made up a batch of Jeff Phillips "Naked Rib Rub" recipe (it's very good).
  • I then opened the 3 rack baby back ribs I purchased from Sam's club. They are very meaty as compared to local grocer version of baby backs. I cut the racks in half and placed them bone side up on baking sheet covered with saran wrap layer to make cleanup easier. I then lifted and edge of each membrane with a knife, grabbed it with fingers and a paper towel and peeled it right off! This was much easier and faster than I've achieved in the past.
  • I then smothered the racks in mustard and spread/rubbed in the Jeff Phillips Naked Rub recipe
  • When coated with rub on both sides I saran wrapped each and stacked them all on a cookie sheet for overnight rest in the fridge.

Prep and Smoke (today):
  • Around 10am, started Jeff Phillips Mac and Cheese recipe (http://www.smoking-meat.com/august-15-2013-smoked-mac-and-cheese-with-bacon-and-pulled-pork) without the pulled pork and Jeff's sauce.
  • Loaded the M&C into aluminum tin from Sam's club (about 9x13 I think?) and it was just the right size as can be seen in my photos.
  • Foiled bottom of smoker, box lid, and catch pan with Heavy Duty foil. Measured out about 1.6 oz hickory chunk, and 1.5oz of soaked (30 min) apple wood chips. Each placed in 3 foil boats with hickory chunk in the center of smoke box.
  • Placed M&C on top rack of my Model #2, ribs on next three racks with meatier pieces on lower racks closer to smoke box.
  • Added mini loaf pan of apple cider about 3/4 full next to smoke box.
  • At 11:40am I closed the door and set to a temp of 230°.
  • Pulled the M&C at 2.6 hours (around 2:20pm) and placed in oven near 170°. At this time I also misted the ribs with a spray of 50/50 apple cider and water before closing the door back up and moving smoker to 235° setting.
  • At 4:50 (~5hrs, 10 mins into smoke) I checked ribs with toothpick test to see if meat pulled from bones. I think they were done but I broke a toothpick, misted again and closed door another 20 minutes before pulling. I wrapped each half rack in tin foil and placed between two towels in my omaha steaks foam shipping cooler.
  • Around 6pm we opened the rested ribs, cut them, and served the M&C.
Comments and Consumption Information:
  • I am not sure how long the wood smoke lasted because moisture flowed out of top looking like smoke on this cool day (~35° outside).
  • M&C was not as moist as I would have liked. This could be from the large time difference of when it was pulled and when we actually consumed since I placed it in the oven with warming temps. Or it could be I just didn't make it properly from the creamy standpoint. I only browned the top and left it crispy until consumption. Suggest M&C with something that don't take ~5 hours to smoke so it's fresher and creamy near the time of consumption. Also, consider mixing the top cheese/bacon sooner so it's not a giant crust layer when plated.
  • Ribs were fantastic and everyone loved them. I think they could have delivered just a bit more moisture but they were very good for my first attempt. Neighbors invited over for dinner were very pleased overall!
  • Have 1 leftover rack that I vacuum sealed and am taking to family in another state later this week. Also bringing them some leftover M&C and working on a brisket for smoke #3 in hopes of bringing them samplers of my now favorite smoker!
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: Smoke #2 - Ribs and Mac N Cheese
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 08:00:57 AM »
Sure looks good.  I'm getting ribs today to make New Years.

Add more milk to make M%C creamier?

When I do wings, store bought sausage or meatloaf in the smoker, time is closer to 3 hours so that could be another pairing for the M%C.

I add bread crumbs/ pankos mixed with rub spice and powder mustard to the mac and cheese as well.  Sort of a crust and spice taste. 

Good work!
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 08:32:40 AM »
Well done!  The ribs and M&C look great.   The time delay to serving the M&C likely contributed to the dryness; I agree with you that the time difference can be problematic.   Next time you might want to just wrap the M&C and let it sit in the oven unheated until maybe 30 minutes before serving when you could do a quick re-heat.  Nevertheless, it looks great!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 08:22:29 PM »
Nice job, Tony!  It's always a little tough doing multiple items that cook differently - too much door opening for my taste!  That probably accounts for the moisture loss in the ribs.  At least once, leave the sides for the oven, and smoke the ribs alone, with no peeking or spritzing, for at least 5 hours.  Every time you open the door, you lose a lot of valuable moisture.  Not such a big deal for large cuts, like butts or briskets, but there's not much meat on ribs - moisture is gold!  Just a tip to try, to see if you can tell the difference.

Really nice first smoke - you're off and running!! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 10:32:03 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions and tips. The ribs were delicious and I can't wait to make more. T-minus 1 hour before my 3rd smoke starts with a packer cut brisket. Hoping one mini-loaf of apple cider is enough to keep it moist for a 12 hour smoke. Maybe I'll throw in a second mini-loaf pan for good measure. I did brine and inject the brisket though so I think it will be good. Wish me luck! Lunch tomorrow is making my mouth water.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

Barrel99

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 11:29:48 PM »
Sounds great Tony. I made the bacon topped Mac and cheese the other day with a 10 lb pork butt. The Mac was in a 9x13 glass tray which probably holds the heat better. However, I didn't put the Mac in until the temp on the butt was getting close (I wanted 200 IT on the butt ... Put in Mac at about 190 along with some pellets in the smoke box...carefully). Took out Mac in less than 2 hours with a wonderful brown and smoked top and was cheesy and creamy. Actually, I should have taken it out sooner and then let it set just by covering it with foil on the counter. The bacon was put on top when it was put in the smoker and was still crunchy.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 11:34:50 PM by Barrel99 »
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 07:16:14 PM »
Looks like a great meal. The Mac & Cheese is a great choice for a side dish.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It