Author Topic: Ray's Meatloaf  (Read 3234 times)

kelvinator

Ray's Meatloaf
« on: December 18, 2014, 01:25:32 AM »
So for my first smoke with the #2 I tried Ray's Meatloaf which is a recipe featured in Jeff's Smoking Meat cookbook by a guy with the SN Silverwolf636 over on smokingmeatforums.

It took 4 hours to reach 155 degrees with my #2 set at 250 degrees. I opened the smoker 3 times because the first chunk of wood I put in (2 oz hickory) , even though I wrapped it in foil it still caught a bit on fire and after opening the smoker it basically stopped smoking so I later added a second piece of wood (1oz hickory) wrapped better and it didn't catch on fire. The smoker was very quick to get back up to temp so I am not sure how much time opening it actually added to the process. The thermometer I have read the internal temp of the smoker between 260-285 the whole time. I had the thermometer mounted with the mounting bracket to the rack I had the meatloaf on which was on the second to top rung.

Anyway's the meatloaf turned out okay imo. I have never been a huge meatloaf fan so hard for me to really say for sure. It was not too smokey thankfully and everyone else enjoyed it, or so they said. With a little ketchup it was good. My critique for it would have been to add more salt to the meat mixture. I was wondering why the recipe did not call for any but I did not add any since I figured the 1/2lb of jimmy dean sausage would probably give it some salt. Maybe I like my food with a bit more salt than others, idk. I will have to try some other recipes to see if I maybe I enjoy other ones more. Anyways, I wasn't nearly as impressed as I was hoping for so I think for now I will move onto some classic cuts of meat to smoke.
Smokin-it #2
Kelvin from Bellevue, WA
New to smoking but worked as a cook for 4 years

Walt

Re: Ray's Meatloaf
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 01:54:59 AM »
Look at the Beef section, I  documented one called "Meatloaf (elevated)."  It's kind of an Italian twist. Came out well & you can see how well the meatloaf held up after a few hours in th fridge prior to smoking.  We don't eat meatloaf much but we really liked it.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

kelvinator

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 11:01:28 AM »
Look at the Beef section, I  documented one called "Meatloaf (elevated)."  It's kind of an Italian twist. Came out well & you can see how well the meatloaf held up after a few hours in th fridge prior to smoking.  We don't eat meatloaf much but we really liked it.

Yeah I saw that post, it sounded excellent! I will definitely have to give it a try sometime. I am not sure I really have a huge interest in smoking meatloaf anytime soon though. I didn't really find the smoky flavor added to the meatloaf really did a whole lot in the way of making it a lot better than just making one in the oven. Plus waiting 4 hours is a long time to wait for meatloaf haha. I will definitely try yours next though.
Smokin-it #2
Kelvin from Bellevue, WA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 11:19:40 AM »
4 hours for meatloaf seems pretty extreme.  How many pounds was it?
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

kelvinator

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 11:51:31 AM »
4 hours for meatloaf seems pretty extreme.  How many pounds was it?

1lb of ground beef, 1/2lb of pork sausage. After veggies and all that were added it was probably 2lbs total. I formed it into a disc that was about 2.5-3 inches tall.
Smokin-it #2
Kelvin from Bellevue, WA