Author Topic: Woo Hoo! First Smoke  (Read 3780 times)

Durangosmoker

Woo Hoo! First Smoke
« on: December 09, 2014, 09:30:46 PM »
Did my first smoke this afternoon in my new Model 2:  Two full racks of ribs and a bunch of chicken drumsticks.  The chicken I just sprinkled with salt and pepper before putting in the smoker, but I had coated the ribs with mustard (after having removed the membrane - what a pain! anyone want to post a video about how to do that?) and sprinkled liberally with a Moroccan Spice Rub.  The ribs spent the night in the fridge to "get happy", then into the smoker (ribs on the top two shelves, chicken below).  Added a mini loaf pan of water to the base of the unit, and 2 chunks of hickory. Did the 3-2-1 method, and took the chicken out after the initial 3 hour smoke.  Ended up giving another 1/2 hour or so at the end, just because the ribs didn't quite fall off the bone.

Results:  Ate part of a drumstick as it came out of the SI, and was unimpressed, but when I took another bite about 5 minutes later, it was terrific.  Guess it needs a few minutes to cool down and absorb the flavors.  The rips were excellent for a first try.  Tender and quite juicy, though not fall off the bone.  The rub was salt free, and I will add salt to the next batch,  perhaps a bit more hot peppers,too, and perhaps mop with a sauce before the final round in the smoker.

Question: I read here that some people just put their ribs in and let 'em smoke for 5 hours.  That would certainly make life easier (and use less foil), but does it dry the ribs out too much?  Thanks for any thoughts.

Next up - Whole Chicken.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Woo Hoo! First Smoke
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 10:36:38 PM »
I use paper towels to get a grip on the membrane after starting it with a knife.   I typically leave my ribs naked for the entire smoke. I have wrapped them once or twice at the 2 or 3 hour mark  but went back to naked.  I would not classify them as dry. Just experiment till you get what you and your family like.  Thats half the fun. Good luck and enjoy.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 10:40:39 PM »
I think the vast majority of us do the 4.5-5.0 hour at 235 no peak method.

Place a disposable mini loaf pan filled with cider or beer rested up against the smoke box and your ribs will not dry out.

Save the foil to line the bottom of the smoker and the lid of your smoke box.

These smokers are so air tight that the moisture stays in and provides a very moist smoking environment.

Your 3-2-1 days will be over after you try the five hour no-pesky method.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 10:45:43 PM »
Welcome to the party, Eric, and congrats on getting that inaugural smoke out of the way!  The first one is always the most fun - total unknown expectations, and a good surprise at the end! ;)

Just a couple of thoughts:  First, membrane removal on the baby backs is actually easier than you think.  I learned a technique from Jeff Phillips at smoking-meat.com that works great.  I think he may have a video on his sight about it.  You start in the middle of the rack.  Work a dull knife under the membrane, from one side to the other.  Then, get your fingers in the pocket you just created, and lift up like picking something up by a handle.  Hold the ribs down while pulling up, and the membrane will skin off from the middle to the ends!  I can remove the silver skin on three racks in less than 2 minutes, clean and easy!

As for the 3-2-1 method on the ribs: forget about it.  Foil is for wrapping meat when it comes out, and lining the bottom of the smoker!  With a juice pan, these smokers are so tight that you won't dry anything out leaving it unfoiled.  Prep your ribs, put them in with a juice pan, set it at 235 and forget it until around 5 hours!  Some like a little "pull" to their ribs, and check at 4.5 hours, but I like fall-off-the-bone.  3 racks usually takes me between 5:15 and 5:45.  Time is not always the same - that's where feel comes in with ribs.  Check them, and go another 20-30 minutes if not done.

If you want a good store-bought rub on ribs, that's a good mix of sweet and spicy, try Famous Dave's Rib Rub.  I love it.

This is all a matter of trial and error, and you will have this down in no time!  These are amazing smokers, and you'll be a pit master before you know it!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 09:54:33 AM »
I concur with the posts above.   I used the 3-2-1 method when I first started out and quickly became frustrated with all of the effort to remove/wrap/etc while the ribs were cooking.   I switched to the "no peaky" method a while ago, and have not looked back!   The only thing that I do that might be different from others (and clearly optional) is that I remove the ribs at about 4.5 hours and apply a BBQ sauce to the ribs and put them back on the smoker for another hour.   I have not had dry ribs.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Durangosmoker

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 05:51:51 PM »
Thanks for the advice, guys.  I'll try the no-peek method next time (I've got another 2 racks of ribs in the freezer from when they were on sale a while back).  I was very impressed with the results, and now can't wait to experiment with different woods.
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 06:56:57 PM »
Eric, I'm a big fan of cherry with pork, or a cherry/hickory blend.  Really gives a good traditional, but mild, flavor profile to pork.  I also like straight hickory, and have even used whiskey barrel oak with great success!  Experimentation is the key to wood!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!