Author Topic: Standing Prime Rib Roast on the #3  (Read 13807 times)

WessPort

Re: Standing Prime Rib Roast on the #3
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 11:23:47 PM »
Hi all!!!  Just want to check in with a few questions.  I thought I bought an 18# prime rib roast, bone in, at Sam's Club but when I got it home and really inspected, it is a rib eye roast and not even sure there are bones???  I'm really not an airhead, but was coming down with the creeping crud and still had 90 miles to go before collapsing.  That was Sunday and I am only now able to get on the computer to ask questions.

So, down to the "meat"...18# rib eye roast...internal temp?  If no bones, do I truss it up?   Wood to use and how much of which?  Rub to use?  (Have "Jeff’s “Texas Style” Rub" recipe???)  Memphis dust???  Cabela's Prime Rib Rub????   Do I plaster on mustard to adhere the rub? 

The results on this post sound amazing, but so did Tony's from last year!  I really want to make a trial run on the roast and am thinking of taking off 3-4 lbs to trial smoke, but am curious about shrinkage and how many people your roasts' fed for the occasion.  If I have a 13 lb. roast, how many people will that feed????

Need help!  Thanks!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 11:27:14 PM »
Eye of the round is a tough piece of meat. I recommend going to the charcuterie section and following the Pastrami recipe.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

WessPort

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 12:02:03 AM »

Here is my cut...

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 12:07:24 AM »
What makes you think he has an eye of round roast Brian?

It sounds like it is a boneless rib roast to me.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

bigfoot21075

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 06:24:16 AM »

Here is my cut...

Oh no - THAT good sir is  a BEAUTIFUL Rib Roast. It is probably boneless, but really that does not matter that much. The bones are not absolutely essential for an AMAZING dinner! You can do this a few ways, if you want the whole thing to be one GIANT Prime Rib, you can cook the whole thing - OR you can cut steaks (these will then be Rib Eye Steaks) form the largest end and vacuum seal them or grill them up.

Either way, the method to make the Prime Rib Roast is exactly the same with or without bone huge or small! There is no need to tie that roast, it will hold its shape just fine. Make sure you season it very well at least the night before you cook it , you want time for the salt to do its work! This is one of the keys to flavor town!

I would cook this low and slow, take it out of the fridge a few hours before you want to cook it and leave it on the counter. Put it in the cold smoker set to 200 degrees with whatever wood you want and let it rip! It will take around 40 minutes per pound (really rough guess as it can vary widely, bone in or boneless does not really change the time per pound). The huge roast will take over 11 hours to get to 120 - 124 degrees. Pull it then for medium rare and let it sit tented with foil until you are ready to eat. Just before dinner preheat a grill or oven to its highest temperature and put the roast in for 8 to10 minutes to get that outside crust, take it out and carve right away (no need for a second rest). It will be SPECTACULAR!
Large Big Green Egg, Natural Gas Weber, Weber Silver Kettle,  Roundboy Wood Fired  Pizza Oven, Smokinit #3

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 09:17:24 AM »
it is a rib eye roast

I was reading fast and totaly missed the word rib. Although I also blame those wacky butchers that cant use the same names for meat. Where I live that chunk would be labeled "Whole Boneless Ribeye"
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Walt

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2014, 09:58:27 AM »
That would be a perfect candidate for a 45 day rest in an UMAI drybag before smoking or grilling!
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 12:05:04 PM »
Wess, I would do this the same way as a prime rib and it will be great! Check out the prime rib method in beef that Dovotmaker did and you will have good eats! Can't wait for pics!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

WessPort

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2014, 12:19:47 PM »
Thanks, Bigfoot!  But what wood to use, how much?  What rub to use, with or without mustard base?  Approximately how many people will this size of meat feed?

Really nervous about this because it was high dollar purchase for Christmas dinner.  More help needed and really appreciate everyones help! 

I have saved DivotMakers prime rib method and will refer to that also.  Thanks Bob!

bigfoot21075

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 12:46:49 PM »
With sides that will easily feed 30-35 people. Most figure just under half pound of meat per person with sides, I like to go for 1/2 per person with sides.

For smoke I love Cherry with Prime Rib. It is good if you may have some guests who are new to smoked food or are unsure if they like it. It will win them over. I would go kind of light as it is so many people like around 4 ounces of total chunks. This will give a nice outside smoke taste without over powering the oh so delicate Prime Rib.

There are several ways to season it, a liberal dose of good old Salt (sea salt of course not the Iodized stuff) and pepper (fresh cracked) is a classic steak house favorite! You could also do a rosemary herb rub, it is fantastic too. Check out this awesome resource (and my second favorite website ) for details on this method. This guy was one of the lead chefs at Cook's Country.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/food-lab-guide-to-prime-rib.html

Large Big Green Egg, Natural Gas Weber, Weber Silver Kettle,  Roundboy Wood Fired  Pizza Oven, Smokinit #3

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 12:47:52 PM »
Wessport,
I do an EVOO binder and a garlic, pepper & salt rub.

For wood, I like to blend.  This smoke was some oak, hickory and plum.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 01:16:04 PM by SuperDave »
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 03:16:10 PM »
That looks very tasty Dave. One of these days I will spring for a Rib Roast.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 07:50:44 PM »
Wessport has a whole ribeye, the same I get for dry-aging ribeye steaks.  It is technically not a "standing rib roast," because it's boneless.  The "standing" part means bone-in (it "stands" on the bones).  Other than that, it is the same cut of meat, and should come out quite tasty!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

WessPort

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2014, 11:22:15 PM »
Thank you so very much for the help.  I think I will cut it in half and do a test smoke this weekend on one half to get an idea of the time and taste.  For my first Rib eye roast, I will just do fresh ground pepper and sea salt with garlic powder.

When I oven roast things like this, I pierce the roast and plug with garlic cloves.   I think this might cause too much moisture loss, what do you think?

WessPort

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2014, 11:27:14 PM »
Wess, I would do this the same way as a prime rib and it will be great! Check out the prime rib method in beef that Dovotmaker did and you will have good eats! Can't wait for pics!

I read that link the first week I joined the site and thought I saved the info, but now can't find it anywhere.  Can you give me a link, please?