Author Topic: Steaks? Been done or just plain crazy?  (Read 5514 times)

Takamikey

Steaks? Been done or just plain crazy?
« on: December 05, 2014, 07:57:36 PM »
Anyone ever tried smoking steaks?  Something like a porterhouse?  I'm usually a chicken and ribs guy looking for some new fare
Mike

husband, father, cook, hero to a schnauzer, reader, fat cyclist, music snob, techie, aspiring professional, happy

smoker #2

cookingdude555

Re: Steaks? Been done or just plain crazy?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 02:15:23 AM »
Steaks are a high heat meat, in my opinion.
John - Utah

Walt

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 09:42:17 AM »
Steaks aren't a problem but should be finished on the grill (reverse seared).  A brief period in the smoker until an IT of 120.  The smoke intensity desired will determine the cooking temp.  If you use 225, the individual steaks will have a brief amount of time in the smoker prior to reaching 120.  May want to try a lower smoker temp for more smoke penetration.  A whole filet is good to do this with.

CG555 is right that steak is a high temp cook.  However, i regularily, smoke many items @ low temp shooting for the addition of a subtle smoke flavor to add to the dominant flavor of my cooking profile.  I then add the high heat component to finish.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 03:25:25 PM »
There are some things that just aren't worth the hassle of smoking, in my opinion, and steaks are one of them!  I just throw a couple of chunks of mesquite or hickory on the Flavorizer bars of my old Weber gasser, and get the job done!  Adds a nice subtle smoke flavor, and the steaks always come out perfect!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 12:54:59 AM »
I agree with divot. I like steak on a hot fire, it never occurred to me to smoke one. I don't see the need. A properly marbled steak renders onto the hot grill. The rendered fat then smokes during the sear. This is all I need. But I am a firm believer in do what makes you happy.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Walt

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 02:31:05 AM »
I have only done this with a whole tendeloin.  It was very nice.  I will do it again.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 11:47:05 AM »
Absolutely, Walt!  Whole, uncut, steaks - ribeye, strip, tenderloin - would be fantastic slow-smoked and reverse-seared!  That's how I do prime rib, which is just a whole rib roast!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Takamikey

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 05:01:36 PM »
Cool may try a tenderloin or prime rib sometime soon
Mike

husband, father, cook, hero to a schnauzer, reader, fat cyclist, music snob, techie, aspiring professional, happy

smoker #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 09:55:14 PM »
Cool may try a tenderloin or prime rib sometime soon

Do a low-temp prime rib, with a reverse-sear - best prime rib you'll ever have!

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1250.0
Tony from NW Arkansas

Takamikey

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 12:15:46 PM »
Hey Tony,  do you think "choice" meat would come out good using the technique you shared above?
Mike

smoker #2

PhatterMike

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 04:05:27 PM »
Beef? YES?
I did a Costco Trimmed Choice Tenderloin Saturday Night, it was off the charts, rubbed it w mustard & chopped garlic, added a small piece of pecan in box & cooked it @ 225 to an internal temp of 120, let it sit for 2 hours rubbed it with kosher salt & pepper and did a reverse sear on the grill... Wish I had picts, it truly was amazing.

Mike
Mike from Palm Beach Gardens, FL

2-Large BGE's, 1- XL BGE, 1-Mini BGE, Weber Genesis 1100 & Now (as of 10-8-2014), I am proud to say.... 1 Smokin~It Model #4

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 07:46:19 PM »
Hey Tony,  do you think "choice" meat would come out good using the technique you shared above?

You bet, Mike!  Most of the beef I do is Choice.  I really don't find much difference in Choice and Prime, except for the price!  Don't get me wrong, I had a Prime standing rib roast last year, but this year it's choice.  Sometimes, you just have to take what's available!

Choice is a better cut than Select, which most grocery stores carry. 
Tony from NW Arkansas

PhatterMike

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 08:20:35 PM »
I've agree Tony, I've tried both from Costco as well, CHOICE is all you need to pay for, I think its all about "marketing", I really don't think I could tell the difference if I had to do a blind taste test.
Mike from Palm Beach Gardens, FL

2-Large BGE's, 1- XL BGE, 1-Mini BGE, Weber Genesis 1100 & Now (as of 10-8-2014), I am proud to say.... 1 Smokin~It Model #4