Author Topic: Wild Turkey Breast and Spare ribs  (Read 7510 times)

gunner28

Wild Turkey Breast and Spare ribs
« on: December 05, 2014, 09:11:57 PM »
OK so I just took out from freezer 1/2 breast wild turkey; boneless and weighs ~ 2.8 lbs.  I also took out one rack of pork spare ribs, St. Louis style and it weighs ~ 2.8 lbs.

This is only my 3rd smoke following a 3 lb. full chicken (4.5 hrs at 250F) and 2 racks of spare ribs (5hrs at 235F).

I'm thinking once thawed, I will brine w. turkey breast, and dry salt brine the rack of spare ribs tomorrow night in fridge for a smoke on Sunday. I will use the rubs I already have prepared from the chicken and rib smokes.

I'm thinking I will try cherry wood (3 oz ?) for 1st time as other 2 smoke's were with hickory.

Based on cooking chart on this forum I'll likely smoke at 240F. 

Any suggestions on whether ribs or WT breast should go up top vs. below?  WT breast will likely be thicker so thinking it should go below ribs?  Any guesses what cooking time will be or when I should peek for 1st time?  Last ribs were done dry; I'd like to work in a basting of sauce on the ribs during the smoke at some point this time.  Last time I used apple juice for moisture; any suggestions for these two meats smoked at same time (beer)?

Look forward to thoughts and/or suggestions.

With thanks,

G28

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Wild Turkey Breast and Spare ribs
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 11:27:44 PM »
Gunner, the breast won't take very long (hour, hour and a half?).  It's always a bit tough smoking 2 dissimilar meats, like those, but at least they're ones that can use the same temp.

Put the breast up top, ribs below.  Use your thermometer in the breast, and take it out at 165 internal.  Remove it as quickly as possible, so you can get the door closed back on those ribs!  Then, keep the ribs in there "no peeky" for the duration.  You can double-wrap the breast in foil, and keep it warm in the oven set to 140 until the ribs are done.

Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gunner28

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 09:53:15 AM »
Thanks DivotMaker.  Your advice is appreciated.

DivotMaker

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 03:26:25 PM »
I'll be interested to see how close my guess was! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

gunner28

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 12:30:00 PM »
I wish I had me one of those Maverick's already.  Maybe a Christmas gift ;)

Everything is in the smoker now. 

gunner28

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 02:18:00 PM »
OK DivotMaker I waited 2 hrs before peeking.  Thickest part of the breast was ~155F.  Rather than open #2 again I pulled the breast and have it double wrapped in oven at about 150F.  I snuck a piece of the tenderloin (smaller) and it tasted good... spicey too.  I used the Cajun smoke chicken rub I put together for my 1st chicken smoke.  Now we wait for the ribs  ;D
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 07:33:48 AM by gunner28 »

gunner28

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 09:12:45 PM »
By far the best smoke we've had yet of our first three  ;D

The ribs were awesome with major change being addition of BBQ sauce about 1 hr before pulling them.  Total cook time for ribs about 5.25 hrs with a couple openings to remove wild turkey breast at 2 hr. mark and to add the BBQ sauce.   Again it was dry brine salted overnight in fridge.  For about 3 hrs in AM it was in fridge with a Memphis rub.

The wild turkey breast was brined (water, brown sugar, K. salt, spices and orange juice) in fridge last night for ~4.5 hrs. The breast was also rubbed with a Cajun BBQ rub for 3 hrs. in fridge.  This breast was excellent … very moist and spicy with the rub used.  DM, I'm guessing 2.25 or 2.5 hrs would have brought breast to 165F.

Everything else was as written above. 

Leftovers will be so good  ;)

G-28

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 09:54:08 PM »
Good deal, Gunner!  Looks like I missed the guess on the breast time, but at least you know now!  A remote thermometer is a must-have, for sure!  Makes life a LOT easier, in our business!
Tony from NW Arkansas

gunner28

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 07:40:42 AM »
Wild turkey breasts (2 − 1/2s) are out thawing.  They will be brined tonight for 4 or so hours. Rub used for 1st chicken and last 1/2 WT breast is a little spicy for some of our guests tomorrow. Any suggestions for a good rub that's not too spicy?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 12:06:44 PM »
I love wild turkey!

As far as seasoning, my go to is Montreal Chicken Seasoning.
http://www.mccormick.com/Grill-Mates/Flavors/Seasoning-Blends/Grill-Mates-Montreal-Chicken-Seasoning

It is readily available and tastes really good. It is has a really good flavor but is not spicy at all. I just smoked a 14 pound Turkey on Monday and it turned out really well.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 01:52:04 PM »
Nice job, Gregg!
Tony from NW Arkansas

es1025

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 05:32:42 PM »
Nice job, Gregg.
Looks tasty.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

gunner28

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 08:53:47 PM »
Thanks Gregg.  That turkey looks real good!  Thanks for the tip on the Montreal Chicken Seasoning.  I will watch for that on next trip to the grocery store.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 09:22:50 PM »
I buy it by the big container at Sam's Club. But, it is pretty common season and should be at all of your grocery stores and Walmart.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

gunner28

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2014, 12:08:07 PM »
OK, so I did receive the new Maverick ET 733 meat thermometer for Christmas  :)   8)

I cooked the WT breasts yesterday; 2 − 1/2s which was about 4 + lbs of meat.  As per this earlier post I had done a 1/2 WT breast previously with very good results, smoked with 2 racks of ribs.  That breast was removed at 2hr with thickest part of breast hitting 155F.  I estimated then 2.25 or 2.5 hrs would have finished them (160-165 F).

The breasts yesterday were good, but dryer than I wanted, and compared to the last breast which I did wout the thermometer.   This time with the new Maverick, I set #1 and #2 probe for each breast at 160 F and set alarm.  The breasts were positioned over each other using top two shelves of #2, smoked at 240F with beer used in foil dish next to wood box.  As before, the breasts were brined for 4 hrs in fridge, and in fridge with a rub for a few hours before smoking etc.  The #2 was sealed, and I waited trusting the Maverick. 

Just before the 2 hr mark the Maverick alarms chimed with temp around 151 F which I think it's supposed to do (win 10 F of set temp).  I wanted to wait for Maverick to hit 160 F before peeking/removing.  Not long after the alarm a max temp in 1 breast reached 156 F.  Thereafter the breast temp's started to decline not rise to the 160 F mark.  Eventually nearing the 3 hr mark with breasts showing 151 and 149 on the Maverick I pulled them. As above the breasts were absolutely edible and nice tasting, but I felt they had been in too long re: dryness, yet the 160 F temp. was never obtained on the Maverick. 

Thoughts/comments … why did breast temp go down, why were breasts dryer than anticipated wout a temp of 160F reached on Maverick?

Thanks,  G28