Author Topic: My virgin smoking trial...  (Read 5691 times)

WessPort

My virgin smoking trial...
« on: November 30, 2014, 08:00:04 PM »
Okay....my first time smoking EVER!!!!  I did not brine the turkey..I did not let it rest in the frig with seasoning....

SERIOUSLY??!!!  Its my first time and am SOOOO excited to just try it!!!!   

Dried 6.87# bone-in Turkey Breast.
Rubbed with EVOO, then a mix of dried herbs (Rosemary, Thyme and Sage) and garlic powder.
Smoked it @225 for 4.50 hours and then did an IT check.  (This is without the temp probe I just purchased)

Was SOOO excited when the probe hit 160 that I pulled it out and came in the house victorious!!!  Only to double check info and recall that it should be 165!!!   Oven is now baking the turkey at 325 until the breast reads 165!

Not discouraged...just disappointed a bit, but sooo TOTALLY excited!!!!  YAHOOO!!!!

Just informed hubby that I will be going to the meat processors to get briskets, ribs, prime rib roast, chickens, brats, etc.  He's trying to reel me back in, but the possibilities are ENDLESS!!! 

Okay...we will wait until the turkey is at 165 and try it.  If I send my husband to the hospital with food poisoning, I will probably have to sell my new toy!   :'(

Took pics of the  turkey after I pulled it out.  They are on my phone.  Will take more pics when we cut into it.  Will post both when I can figure it out. 

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it....I'm about to lose control and I think I like it!!!!!

Signed,
WessPort
From Oz

WessPort

Re: My virgin smoking trial...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »
Did 1 hour in 325 d oven and  now letting it rest for 30 minutes and having a hard time concentrating on anything else!!!!   The aroma is KILLING ME!!!!!!!!

WessPort

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 10:15:16 PM »
SOOO very happy,happy, happy!!!!  Hubby is on board...kind of...he loved the turkey breast........

now on to bigger and
better things!!!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 12:45:49 AM »
If you were at a solid 160, carry over would have taken you up to 165'ish. Pulling at 165 will get you 168-170'ish. But no harm done with the trip through the oven. I'm glad you enjoyed your meal.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

WessPort

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 03:53:14 AM »
Brian,  I am confused...what do you mean by "carryover"?  Did I do something wrong????

p..

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 06:26:42 AM »
If you would have pulled at 160 and foiled it while resting for awhile on counter the temp would have risen to 165+ outside of the smoker.  John
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

WessPort

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 09:27:03 AM »
Ohhh...okay.   Well, at least it didn't get dried out.  It was delicious!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 09:29:59 AM »
Congratulations, you are off and running!    Next time on the turkey, I would just leave it in the smoker to 165IT to be safe, but the oven method is perfectly fine as well!   Now get some ribs on that smoker!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 09:46:49 AM »
Way to go Wess!! Glad your first smoke went so well!  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Me2

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 10:02:22 AM »
So glad your first smoke was a success. It is good to see other women discovering the fun in smoking and having a presence on our forum.

The one difficulty in reading the forum regularly is it makes you want to smoke more often!

You have many good smokes ahead of you with a great variety of meats.

Martha
#2 happy owner, Georgetown, TX

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 11:34:11 AM »
Carry Over may not be the correct term but I believe it it. It has to do with the heated piece of meat increasing in internal temperature because the outside sections are hotter than the center. this continues even though the meat has been removed from the heat source 9oven or smoker). Larger pieces of meat with more mass have greater degree of carry over.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 08:13:06 PM »
Congrats on a great success, WessPort!  Sounds like some good eating in Oz! 8)

With things like briskets, butts, whole chickens and turkeys, you can count on 4-5ยบ temp rise with you wrap it tight with HD foil (2 layers), and then cover to keep it warm (with towels in a portable cooler).  This is how we typically "rest" things like pork butts and briskets after smoking.  They actually "finish" cooking outside the heat of the smoker!  Very useful concept, once you understand it.  Helps with the timing, and the rest period.

Glad to hear your door has opened, and the possibilities are endless!  Welcome to our addiction... ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

WessPort

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 04:36:58 PM »
Thanks all for the comments and helpful tips. 

Have not smoked anything else, just got the meat thermometer/probe yesterday and had to figure that out.  Have literally spend days pouring over the forum and copying recipes for rubs and brines, tips on temps, times and woods for different meats.  I've read so much information, my head is about the explode! 

Will be picking up a Jr. Briner in Wichita next weekend.  Will be putting together some rubs later today and then off to the grocery store for ribs, chicken and anything else that looks good! 

;D

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 12:00:18 PM »
Have literally spend days pouring over the forum and copying recipes for rubs and brines, tips on temps, times and woods for different meats.  I've read so much information, my head is about the explode! 
 ;D

And so it begins... ;) 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

goldentouch

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 06:21:14 PM »
Sounds like you are up and running with your new smoker.   Now you can try other things to smoke.  Just walk down the meat line and pick up what looks good or what is on special.  Enjoy
Eddie from East Texas