Author Topic: Thanksgiving Smoke (what are you cooking)  (Read 13913 times)

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Re: Thanksgiving Smoke (what are you cooking)
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 11:41:47 PM »
Bird came out great. Pictures below. Pulled it from smoke at 150 degrees and finished in a 350 degree oven and the skin crisped up pretty well by the time the bird got to 165. We felt that the amount of smoke came out about right.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 12:42:22 AM »
Looks Great Bob!
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

es1025

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 08:27:44 AM »
The results are in.

Cooked the bird for 3 hours and 15 minutes.  A temp a shade over 170. I was watching the Macy's parade.

Had the auber set at 170 for 30 minutes and then up to 265.

I laid the bird breast side down. I put the bird in the second shelf from the top. Much better heat.

I let the bird rest for 2 hours and carved it up. Really juicy and tender, best turkey ever. Skin was crispy.

Its funny the last time a smoked a turkey it took and hour a pound, now 30 minutes go figure.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 08:29:29 AM by es1025 »
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 08:50:38 AM »
Smoked a 12# turkey in my #2 that took almost exactly 4 hours at 225F.   I also had an oven turkey with stuffing.  End result:  no left over smoked turkey, but plenty of oven turkey!   Next year the wife just wants me to smoke a turkey...looks like the oven will be open for the rolls!  LOL
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2014, 10:56:14 AM »
Yeah Steve, the family sure seems to go after the smoked over regular. That and cheesy polenta....that's crack to my sister in law...  ;D
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2014, 04:34:44 PM »
Nice job, Bob, Ed and Steve!  Mine will be Sunday! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Smokem if ya got em

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2014, 05:36:28 PM »
19 pound turkey going in my #3 some time late tonight for an afternoon gathering tomorrow.  Will let the Auber take charge while I sleep. I'll stuff with celery, carrots and onion and put a little poultry seasoning on the bird as well.  Will not be brining.
Dean from SE Michigan

Smokin-It Model #3 Owner as of May 10, 2014

DivotMaker

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2014, 06:40:30 PM »
19 pound turkey going in my #3 some time late tonight for an afternoon gathering tomorrow. 

That's a big bird for smoking.  Make sure you run it at 250 (or higher if you have an Auber with a bypass) to keep it out of the danger zone for too long.  Just for reference, you usually want to stay no more than 14 lbs for a turkey in the low-temp smoker.  After it hits about 140 internal temp, you might want to consider finishing a bird that big in the oven at a higher temp.  Just my 2¢...
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Smokem if ya got em

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2014, 07:50:29 PM »
I was planning to set the smoker at 250.  Is the concern the bird will dry out before IT hits 165?
Dean from SE Michigan

DivotMaker

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2014, 08:11:34 PM »
I was planning to set the smoker at 250.  Is the concern the bird will dry out before IT hits 165?

Dean, poultry typically has bacteria present in the meat before cooking (to include salmonella).  As long as the meat is 40° or below, it is inactive.  Between 40° and 140°, bacteria becomes active.  So, the longer it takes a large piece of meat to transition from 40 to 140°, the more chance you have of growing more than you bargained for in your meal.  12-13 lbs, and even 14 is pushing it a bit, is about as big as you should go at low temp (yes, 250 is considered low temp) on a turkey.  A 19 lb bird will take quite awhile to get to 140.

As an edit to my original post, you probably don't want to wait until 140 to finish in the oven.  I'd probably give it about 2 hours of good smoke, then pull it and finish in a 325 oven.  That's a big bird, and you don't want it to be your last!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Smokem if ya got em

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2014, 08:14:54 PM »
Great advice Tony.  Will modify my plans accordingly.  Thanks
Dean from SE Michigan

DivotMaker

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2014, 08:20:26 PM »
Better safe than sorry, Dean!  Next time, get a smaller bird and you won't have to worry about it.  You should still get some great smoke flavor, and have a bird that won't bite back!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Smokem if ya got em

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2014, 10:51:56 PM »
Tony, Thanks again for the advice on the 19 pound turkey.  I smoked it for 2 hours with 2 1/2 ounces of hickory at 250 degrees.  Turkey had an IT of 75 when I took it out and moved it to the oven.  Cooked at 325 in a convection oven for 2 hours 15 minutes.  IT was 168 when I took it out.  Served after letting it rest in cooler.  Was well received by the family.  Attached a photo as it looked when removed from smoker and one before going into the cooler for a rest.
Dean from SE Michigan

DivotMaker

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2014, 01:31:45 PM »
Looks good, Dean!  How'd it taste?
Tony from NW Arkansas

peterbilt79

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2014, 12:26:10 AM »
Sorry, no picks. Had 3 birds ready to go 1 traditional in the oven, 1 fried and 1 smoked(12#each).  For 3 birds went with butterballs (didn't feel like paying 4$ lb for natural).  Since they were butterballs brined in a cooler with 5 gallons apple juice, 1 cup of salt, blend of rosemary, thyme, sage and parsley. Alarm went off at 8 and realized that i had no power.  Ended up at my brothers condo complex to throw 1 in the oven, run back to my house at 3 to drop the other in the frier, and the one that I was really looking forward too had to wait until friday when I finally got power back.  Oven was ok, frier was great, thank god the smoked is left for the immediate family, not even close the best