Author Topic: Open or Not Open the Smoker During the Cooking Process  (Read 7557 times)

rowsteve65

Open or Not Open the Smoker During the Cooking Process
« on: November 13, 2014, 11:18:08 PM »
Gang,

I'm brand new to smoking meats, and I just received my new Model 2 and will be seasoning it tomorrow.  I had what might seem to be a dumb question.  I've read about the 2-2-1 method for ribs, and also varying things about either opening or not opening the smoker during the cooking process.  Is it OK to interrupt the smoker operation to spray the meat, put a "mop" on the meat, etc?  Or, as some advice I've read suggests, is it better never to open the smoker until the cooking process is finished?  Are there some meats where it's OK to interrupt the smoke to baste with sauce or spray, and some where it's not?  Thanks, and sorry for the dumb beginner questions.

Steve

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: Open or Not Open the Smoker During the Cooking Process
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 05:19:43 PM »
There are no dumb questions on this forum!   If you are using the 2-2-1 method, you will need to open the smoker to remove the ribs for foiling, etc.  The key when opening the door is quickness as you will experience heat loss when the door is open.  Having said that, the #2 will regain the lost heat pretty quickly.  When I am planning to open the smoker, I try to do it when the unit is at the highest temperature, so that the loss doesn't take the temp too far down in the unit.  When I do ribs, for example, I keep them in "no peeky" for at least 4.5 hours, then take them out to sauce and back in for another hour.   The time that the door is open is minimal and I have not seen the need for additional time to finish the ribs.

As for mopping the meat, I don't do it and I don't really think it is necessary...the #2 will maintain good moisture, especially if you put a small loaf pan of liquid in the bottom next to the wood box.

Overall, though, I would suggest opening the smoker only when necessary.   
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

rowsteve65

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 09:20:38 AM »
Thanks Steve.  Much appreciated.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 01:09:13 PM »
Do Not:
Open the smoker
Mop, spray rotate or stack ribs
Do not foil food in an SI smoker while cooking or smoking.

*Foil is for the bottom of the smoker and top of the firebox.

Do:
Use a binder of oil or mustard before applying rub.
Let ribs rest in fridge 12 hours or more before smoking
Smoke at 235 with no more than 4 oz. of wood.
Have a small metal loaf pan of liquid in the back of smoker touching the firebox.
Check ribs at 4.5 hours cook longer if necessary. Likely you will stop around 5 hours
Search No Peak ribs to learn more
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

rowsteve65

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 03:28:45 PM »
Thanks Brian.  Much appreciated.  With respect to liquid in the smoker, I may have done the wrong thing, but I went ahead and ordered the "Flavor Savor" when I ordered the smoker.  This apparently hangs from one of the shelves with liquid in it.  Since it wouldn't be touching the fire box, should I just hang it as close to the box as possible from a shelf that I put on the bottom of the rack?  Or did I make a mistake ordering it and should just not use it.  Thanks.

Steve

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 03:30:41 PM »
It wasn't so much of a mistake as probably not needed.

If you don't mind cleaning it, I would just place the flavor saver right next to the smoke box.

The nice thing about the disposable foil bread pans is that you can just chuck them in the garbage when you are done.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

rowsteve65

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 03:33:11 PM »
Thanks Greg.  It sounds like I wasted a little bit of money.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 06:51:51 PM »
Not really a waste you can put it next to the box, Or I thought the may be a case where it might be useful to catch a few drippings without blocking a lot of heat. Even smoked turkey could use a little gravy occasionally.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Chipper

• "He dug his grave one forkfull at a time!"
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 09:57:31 AM »
I have an old fire brick I wrap in aluminum foil and place in the bottom of my #1 next to the fire box to act as a heat sink.  The only time I ever open my smoker is to baste Salmon.  The residual heat from that hot brick helps the unit come back up to temperature. 

Barrel99

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 02:17:00 PM »
Hi Chipper,
I have heard of others using sand also. I am just curious, do you see a significantly less temp swing when you are using the brick?
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Chipper

• "He dug his grave one forkfull at a time!"
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 07:59:44 AM »
Hello from Lake Worth!  Arnie, are you referring to the brick delaying the normal warmup period of the smoker?  I have no idea.  I'm generally half in the bag when I start this thing and don't remember eating. 

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 08:22:42 PM »
I have no idea.  I'm generally half in the bag when I start this thing and don't remember eating.

Hahaha!  I just spit beer all over my computer screen!!  That's incredible honesty, and very funny stuff!! ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 08:50:09 PM »
LOL...I did the same thing! Forget my question Chip...who cares!
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!