Author Topic: What about the rain?  (Read 9660 times)

Barrel99

What about the rain?
« on: November 10, 2014, 05:00:03 PM »
I have a model 3. I would like to leave it outside, covered when not in use, but completely open when I am smoking. Will rain short out or wreck the machine? Sometimes here in Florida it can get pretty nasty.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 01:37:15 PM by Barrel99 »
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: What about the rain?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 05:33:53 PM »
I leave mine out on my deck with the cover on when not in use in North Dakota which can also get kind of nasty ;)

For light rains, I will sometimes put a glass over the top of the hole to prevent water from getting into the smoker and put my Maverick wireless thermometer in a Ziploc bag.

If it is pouring rain or expected to rain hard, I usually skip the smoke.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 08:12:04 PM »
My smokers live on a covered porch.  However, if I didn't have them covered, I would be pretty darned nervous to use them in a down pour.  It is an electric appliance, and is not sold as "water proof!"  I wouldn't want to grab that stainless steel door latch if a short has occurred! :o   Best to use them under cover, or on dry days!  I don't think a little snow would be as bad, but rain could be a problem.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 09:10:58 PM »
I've used mine in light to moderate rain.  I put a cup over the control knob, and put my maverick in a ziplock bag.

If it's going to rain hard, I set it just inside my garage with the door open.  I set a fan on a box behind the unit to blow the smoke out the door.
Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

Barrel99

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 11:02:28 PM »
I guess the general consensus is "no rain" is better and safer. In other words, smoke at your own risk.

I will keep it on my covered porch. Even with fans the smoke still sneaks into the house though. Not bad,  but there.

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Walt

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 11:22:27 PM »
I love that. Its a great sensory part of the experience.  That all day tease reminding you of the special meal ahead.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 09:00:24 PM »
I love that. Its a great sensory part of the experience.  That all day tease reminding you of the special meal ahead.

++++1!!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Barrel99

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 01:36:46 PM »
More truth to that than you all realize. I get withdrawals if it's to long between smokes ... lol!