Author Topic: western larch  (Read 2835 times)

Randy

western larch
« on: November 03, 2014, 06:46:43 PM »
I live in Montana where my son runs his logging operation. he brings home a lot of Western large or Tamarack as we call it and cooks a lot of roast and steaks on it.and they are very excellent.so I've been thinking about how it would be to smoke meat with this Tamarack and just see how it is as a wood for smoking.well I did a set of country style ribs on it to the other day with about 5 ounces of wood in my #3 they were great no bitter just a nice smoke. I uses more wood then most guys dont no if its the smoker or what but nobody has ever said its to smokie.But any way Ive got a lot of it has any body ever tried larch ?  If you ever want to let me know we can work something out and I can maybe ship you some. thanks randy from Montana
If it walks, crawls, slizzers, or even grows from the grownd smoke it.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: western larch
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 08:50:05 PM »
That's interesting, Randy!  I always thought the Tamarack tree was an evergreen, like a pine, that contains sap/tar.  Generally, evergreens are not suited for smoking, and some actually give off toxic fumes.  I'll have to do a little research on the larch, as this is contrary to everything I've learned about smoking woods.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Randy

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 09:50:46 PM »
let me no what you find out.
If it walks, crawls, slizzers, or even grows from the grownd smoke it.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 10:03:54 PM »
Will do!  Hopefully, someone else will chime-in if they know anything about it, too!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!