Author Topic: Newbie needs to talk turkey  (Read 3630 times)

Suzie-Q

Newbie needs to talk turkey
« on: November 01, 2014, 02:53:05 PM »
Hello!  This is my first time to join a forum so I'll need some TLC.  :) I bought the Smokin' It #1 because of Lee Goldberg's advice. Thanks Lee!  I spent the summer experimenting much to the delight of husband & son.  Now the most important cookin' day is on the horizon, Thanksgiving.  I need the low down on the following: How big a bird will fit in the #1?  I'm planning on a brine first, of course.  Wet or dry, I'm not sure yet.  What temperature/How long do you smoke? I've got a digital thermometer so that helps a lot.  What wood works best for this?  I'm thinking pecan or apple?  Do I have to move the bird to my kitchen oven for final cooking to crisp the skin?  My son loves that on the Thanksgiving turkey but the low temperature setting for smoking does not seem to be able to accomplish that.  Sorry for all the questions.  ::) I'm counting on all your help fellow Smokin' It Chefs!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Newbie needs to talk turkey
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 05:33:41 PM »
Hi Suzie!  Welcome to the club!

Here's a link to a "group" turkey smoke we did last Thanksgiving:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1172.0

Here's a great post on a small turkey:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1172.0

I love this technique of using "mire poix" in the bird - equal parts of chopped onion, celery and carrots.  This really stabilizes the temp while cooking, and gives the meat an incredible flavor!

You'll be able to fit up to a 14 lb bird in the #1.  I don't recommend going larger than that, anyways, due to the time spent in the "danger zone" of unsafe temperature (when smoking at low-temp).  In the first link I posted, I showed I smoked that bird at 240.  I now use 250 for all poultry, chicken or turkey.  You want to smoke until the breast temp hits 165; on a 13 lb bird, this will be around 5 hours.  You won't get crispy skin, so you might want to remove from the smoker at around 150, then finish in a 350+ oven.  We're not skin eaters, so I never bother with this step.

If you plan to brine your bird, make sure it's not one that has been injected with a solution already.  Many turkeys come pre-brined, so brining again can produce an over-salty bird.  If I know I have a chicken or turkey that is not injected, I use a basic poultry brine, but don't brine if already injected.

You won't need much wood - 2.5-3 oz.  I like cherry or hickory on turkey, but that's my taste.  Use what kind of wood you like - they're all good!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Suzie-Q

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »
Wow! :D  Thanks for all the information DivotMaker.  This may be the start of a delicious new tradition.

RSNovi

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 09:03:23 PM »
I just did a 6 pound turkey breast for the first time today.  It was in a 15% solution so I didn't brine.  I put a simple rub of salt, pepper, powder garlic, seasoning salt, poultry seasoning, and paprika.  I was quite happy with this rub for thanksgiving style.

Sorry, I have a cookshack, but I went for 300 degrees.  It took about 2.5 hours starting with a cold smoker and turkey.  I used 2 oz of peach wood.  I thought things turned out pretty tasty and moist.
Chris - Michigan
SM025
PG500
Tappecue
Maverick 735
iGrill 1