Author Topic: 1st Brisket smoke  (Read 3394 times)

Snoopy

1st Brisket smoke
« on: October 25, 2014, 10:21:38 PM »
Hi all,

Did my first brisket last weekend. Just getting around to posting about it. It was a 6.5# flat I think. I'm not to experienced with brisket yet so I had a hankering to try one. I followed the sound advice from this forum and had great results  :). I trimmed it up the night before and did an injection followed by a mustard slather and some brisket rub I had from a place in texas. It rested about ten hrs in the fridge till the following morning. I used DM's injection recipe with a few changes. I have never injected anything so it was an experience. I had stuff squirting out everywhere! Lol  I quickly learned to angle it and use my other hand to cover the squirts.

I set the temp to 225ish and used post oak and cherry, about 5.5oz total. A small loaf pan of apple juice and let er roll no peek. I believe it was about 7.5-8hrs total time. I don't pay much attention to time except for ribs. I took it out at 195 in the thickest part and wrapped and rested in the cooler for 1.5hrs. I have to say I was impressed how juicy and flavorful it was and the victorinox granton edge went through it like butter  ;D. Will def do brisket again! Girlfriend was very happy too  ;D. We also fixed baked mac n cheese and a apple crisp since apples are in season here now. I used honey crisp apples for the crisp. Was a great meal and great day. Once again I thank everyone here for all the knowledge that's passed on! Here are some pics: 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:25:44 PM by Snoopy »
Lance from Woodstock OH, #1 owner

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: 1st Brisket smoke
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 01:13:21 PM »
Looks fantastic, Lance! ;D   Curious what you changed in the injection recipe - always looking for improvements! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 03:54:36 PM »
Nice lookin' brisket Lance!
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 08:44:12 PM »
That looks awesome. It really looks juicy and moist.

Nice job.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Snoopy

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 09:59:03 PM »
Looks fantastic, Lance! ;D   Curious what you changed in the injection recipe - always looking for improvements!

I didn't have beer so used apple juice and added some onion and garlic powder and smoked ground pepper powder. Used sriracha sauce instead of crystal hot sauce. As the pics show it was juicy and had a great flavor. So glad I invested in the SI smoker!
Lance from Woodstock OH, #1 owner

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 08:39:34 PM »
Nice, Lance.  Thanks!  Sriracha is a great substitute, and the garlic and pepper would be good, too.  The only reason I use beer in the injection is that it is a natural tenderizer.  I've wondered about adding some garlic or pepper to the injection, but worried it might be overpowering, with the hot sauce and spices in the rub.  You have my creative juices flowing!  Thanks for the modification info!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!