Author Topic: The Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener  (Read 10058 times)

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
Re: The Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2016, 11:59:42 PM »
I have had the work sharp Ken Onion edition for a few years and love it. Just got the blade grinding attachment at Christmas but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I highly recommend these machines and would suggest that you spend the extra $20-30 to get the Ken Onion edition as there are several improvements including thicker belts and variable speed.
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

Grampy

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 09:13:04 AM »
I have had the work sharp Ken Onion edition for a few years and love it. Just got the blade grinding attachment at Christmas but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I highly recommend these machines and would suggest that you spend the extra $20-30 to get the Ken Onion edition as there are several improvements including thicker belts and variable speed.

I can not comment on the Ken Onion Edition but I do have the standard Work Sharp sharpener and I can tell you it is the best, fastest, and easiest sharpener I have ever owned. I will warn you though, once everyone sees how sharp your knives are you will be getting many requests to sharpen their knives as well!
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 02:39:30 PM »
Jimmys right. I have become the designated knife sharpener for all of my family and friends.

The great thing is that I'm not worried about dulling my knife on something anymore as putting another razor sharp, mirrored & honed edge is just a few easy minutes away!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 08:22:03 PM »
I was at Cabela's today, and see they are carrying the full line, including the Ken Onion models.  Prices were in-line, too.  Bought a pack of belts for mine.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Rich B

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 01:57:16 PM »
Never heard of this sharpener until I read this thread, I'm stopping at my local Rockler shop on teh way home tonight to grab the Ken Onion sharpener, can't wait!!!!! :)
Rich from S.E. MI, and summers in the thumb!
#3 (soon to be a 3D after I upgrade) at the lake
#1 at home
Weber Gas Grills at both locations

DivotMaker

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 08:08:57 PM »
You'll love it, Rich!  Never been an easier way to keep your knives really sharp!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 09:50:36 PM »
I don't get it! You cannot spit on it. Where is all the fun and adventure in this sharpener when there isn't a chance of slicing into your thumb or a finger when finishing up with a hard Arkansas stone? All kidding aside, this looks like something I need to get.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2016, 10:38:16 PM »
Dave, I agree that it takes a lot of the challenge/fun out of sharpening.  The "ways of old" have been passed down by tribal knowledge for generations!  We were all taught the different grades of whetstones, the proper oil to use, and how we could eventually slice paper (or shave our arm hair) with a properly sharpened knife.  Been there, done that....  Now, I can get a whole kitchen full of knives that are just as sharp, in less time than it used to take to sharpen one!  The older I get, the more things like this just make sense! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

Grampy

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 06:56:58 AM »
I don't get it! You cannot spit on it. Where is all the fun and adventure in this sharpener when there isn't a chance of slicing into your thumb or a finger when finishing up with a hard Arkansas stone? All kidding aside, this looks like something I need to get.

Sarge, I understand where you are coming from. For years I have used an Arkansas whetstone to sharpen my knives. While using this method does produce a sharp knife it takes a quite a bit of time. I thought I was a pretty good knife sharpener with a whetstone but it does not compare to how sharp and how fast you can get a knife with the Work Sharp. I can sharpen 10 knives in the time it would take me to sharpen one and the edge is like a surgical instrument they are so sharp.
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Rich B

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2016, 08:05:20 AM »
There is a bit of a learning curve on this very powerful machine.  Read the instructions, watched some youtube vids and grabbed two junk knives to play with.  AMAZING!!  was slicing phone book paper into little ribbons with no effort.  I didn't want to start with my good knives obviously and still want to practice some more but am totally loving this machine.  I have no background in sharpening and have always taken my knives to my local butcher to have sharpened but no more!
Rich from S.E. MI, and summers in the thumb!
#3 (soon to be a 3D after I upgrade) at the lake
#1 at home
Weber Gas Grills at both locations

DivotMaker

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2016, 07:08:14 PM »
Thanks for sharing, Jimmy and Rich!  I absolutely have NO affiliation with this company, but tell everyone about them because of how great the products work!  First time I found a company I believed in this much, I bought the smoker, and eventually became very involved in the forum...lol!  I don't belong to the WorkSharp forum (if they have one), but sure like how they work!
Tony from NW Arkansas