Author Topic: Knives  (Read 10606 times)

Snoopy

Knives
« on: September 25, 2014, 08:44:14 PM »
Hi all,

I'm looking for a couple knives to invest in. I did read the review on the victorinox in this section. The link still works in that review. Looks like the cheapest place to purchase. I'm on a limited budget, say 100$. Is the consensus to go with the victorinox line? I need a slicing knife and a good general use knife. I'm thinking the 12" slicing for brisket and such and maybe a deboning one to be able to clean up butts and trim fat. I have a few cheap ones that are not up to par. Any advice is appreciated  :)
Lance from Woodstock OH, #1 owner

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Knives
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 09:51:30 PM »
Hey Lance,

I've had the Victorinox granton-edge carving knife for about a year, and it's great.  If I needed other knives, I would easily go with the brand.  I've been very satisfied.  Affordable, and well-made.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 09:59:06 PM »
I have a Victoronix boning knife and it is a very good knife. 
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 12:58:15 AM »
I recommend Northwestern Cutlery Supply out of Chicago; http://www.nwcutlery.com/ You can shop online or in the store.

Great people and great service. They sharpen knives wile you wait for $3.50 each regardless of size. Fantastic results. They take care of a ton of Chefs in Chicago and the surrounding area.

They have the Victorinox slicer for $3 more than the link you mentioned but featuring a Rosewood handle not the injection molded plastic. http://www.nwcutlery.com/Victorinox-Victorinox_Slicer_12-in_3.html
Looks like a nice blade, great deal for a $90 knife. My blades hang on a magnetic rack on the kitchen wall. They are handy, protected and decorative. I would spend the extra $3 for the upgraded blade.

You cant have too many good looking quality knives, or guns.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 02:07:28 AM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 09:07:08 AM »
I get most of my utilitarian knives at the webstaurant store.

Vic, Mercer and D-R are all fine for the most part.
Mundial is another good line, they're what the SausageMaker store here sells.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/2875/slicing-knives.html
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/2825/boning-fillet-knives.html
~Martin

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 10:20:36 AM »
I recommend Northwestern Cutlery Supply out of Chicago; http://www.nwcutlery.com/ You can shop online or in the store.

Great people and great service. They sharpen knives wile you wait for $3.50 each regardless of size. Fantastic results. They take care of a ton of Chefs in Chicago and the surrounding area.

They have the Victorinox slicer for $3 more than the link you mentioned but featuring a Rosewood handle not the injection molded plastic. http://www.nwcutlery.com/Victorinox-Victorinox_Slicer_12-in_3.html
Looks like a nice blade, great deal for a $90 knife. My blades hang on a magnetic rack on the kitchen wall. They are handy, protected and decorative. I would spend the extra $3 for the upgraded blade.

I have been wanting to get one of these knives for awhile now, but the link to the one with the Rosewood handle for just a few more bucks pushed me to order it.

Thanks Brian!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Snoopy

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 11:29:33 AM »
Awesome thanks. Would you all recommend the flexible or stiff deboning knife or does it matter?

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 11:46:49 AM »
Flexible definitely. not as limber as a filet knife but you want some give to work the tip around the bones. Call that shop I posted they are great people. Tell them what you want and your budget they will hook you up.
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 08:19:19 PM »

and...

Nice link, Brian!  I'm definitely going to spend some time going through their site!

And...  Couldn't agree more with the last comment!! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

es1025

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 01:19:04 PM »
Lance

Like the folks have said, you need a good filet knife and a granton-edge knife. 

For the granton knife make sure you get a cover. This works great for slicing brisket.

That's all i use for smoking meats.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Snoopy

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 12:10:29 AM »
Hey guys,

I looked the nwcutlery site up and unless I'm missing something they are @ $54.95 for the victorinox 12"slicer with granton edge/fibrox handle, item #40645. The webstaurant store has same knife but different item # than nwcutlery @$ 37.17 item #47645. You have to add it to your shopping cart to see the actual price. Can someone else check that out and see if its the same knife? If it is I think I will go with the cheaper price since I'm on a budget. Thanks
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 12:27:23 AM by Snoopy »

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 11:27:20 AM »
I called Northwestern Cutlery, they say "The only difference in the Victorinox; Fibrox and Rosewood Handle Slicer is the handle the blade is the same"

Personally I like the wood. As I said before my blades are part of the kitchen decor, they hang on a magnetic rack above my butcher block. Quality blades and guns are an investment that your children get to fight over when your dead and gone. Personally I would rather inherit Dads Rosewood handle carving knife that carved many memories of fine meals, rather than the kinda ugly plastic handled slicer. Even though the ugly one is sharp, it has no character.
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 07:45:54 PM »
Lance, go for what your budget dictates.  I have wood handled knives that I've had for nearly 30 years, and they show their age.  I agree with Brian about the beauty of a nice wood handle, especially if it's part of your decor.

But, bottom line is that a knife is just a tool.  Personally, I only buy the low-maintenance handles now.  Easy to clean, and they don't absorb bacteria like wood.  Same reason I use a plastic cutting board instead of wood. 
Tony from NW Arkansas

Snoopy

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 09:36:19 PM »
That's what I did, stick to my budget. I ended up ordering from the webstaurantstore. I went with the victorinox line. I was able to get a 12" granton edge slicer for $37.17, 6" flexible boning for $15.91, 8" chefs blade for $24.89 plus I got the mercer blade guards for all of them for less than $6. With shipping the total was $91.16. I had a
$100 budget and was able to get it all for under that  :).

One thing also, if you have it shipped to a business address it is a little cheaper. Very satisfied with the value and deal I got working with the budget I had. The nwcutlery site is a great site as well just a little higher in price but they do offer free shipping for orders over $50. For me it was still cheaper even with $7.50 shipping charge. I'm just glad to have some quality knives that I can use for years to come  :).

Big thanks for all the help and links guys!

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 03:45:51 PM »
Cant go wrong with Cutco.  Check on ebay.   Lots listed near Christmas time and you can always send them back for lifetime sharpening.   John
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA