Author Topic: Foil and Plastic Wrap  (Read 4399 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Foil and Plastic Wrap
« on: September 21, 2014, 04:42:18 PM »
As you all know, we go through a LOT of foil and plastic wrap with this hobby!  I have always used Reynolds HD foil, in the 18" roll, until recently.  While it is good, it tears too easy, for heavy-duty, and is quite expensive.  I now use food service-packaged foil, from Sam's Club. 

The Reynolds pack is 18" x 16.66 yards (48.98'), and costs almost $6.00.  The "Daily Chef" Food Service brand, from Sam's, is 18" x 500', and is priced $19.98.  That's 10-times the foil, for 3-times the price of Reynolds!  And, I find it to be less prone to tear.  The box has an internal roller, and cutter, so it's easy to use.  Great deal!

Plastic wrap is also essential!  I have never been able to find long rolls of plastic wrap at my local grocery stores.  It is very difficult to wrap a brisket, or pork butt, in 12" plastic!  Enter the Daily Chef plastic wrap!  The roll is 18" x 3,000'!  That's a lot of pork butts and ribs wrapped!  $14.98 for 3,000' of plastic wrap.  The wrap isn't flimsy, either - it's food service grade!

I'm sure Costco has the same type of deal.  But, if you have a Sam's near you, spend $35 on a great supply of foil and plastic wrap!

I forgot to mention - they are Made in the USA!  Makes it even better! :D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 04:43:51 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

foodeefish

Re: Foil and Plastic Wrap
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 06:53:09 PM »
Divotmaker,

When do you wrap pork butts or brisket with plastic wrap? When it's raw?

Thnx

es1025

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 07:06:46 PM »
Bj's or costco have the hd foil and plastic wrap. I like the added width of the wholesale clubs as opposed to the grocery stores.

I use plastic wrap when i let the butts or briskets rest in the fridge with rub.

I use foil after the smoke for ribs and when i foil at 165 for butts and briskets.

I know use no peeky for butts and briskets....

My $02

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 07:18:37 PM »
I have purchased both the Daily Chef Foil and Plastic wrap at Sam's. It is an awesome deal.

I find the plastic wrap box to be a bit of a pain in the butt to get the wrap out of the opening. Once it get in there it is a real bear to get it out.

But both are a great deal. Costco has basically the same thing, but is slightly more expensive than Sam's.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

bigbassnutt

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 07:51:00 PM »
Great tip Tony, I am due to take a trip to Sam's soon to stock up on some meat. I will pick up a box of each while I am there.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 08:19:17 PM »
When do you wrap pork butts or brisket with plastic wrap? When it's raw?

Plastic wrap is great for letting the raw meat and seasonings "get happy" in the fridge.  For example, I like to prep baby back ribs, the night before, by removing the silver skin (membrane on the bones), slather in yellow mustard, then apply rub and wrap in plastic.  In the fridge for the night, and smoke the next day.  This allows the rub to penetrate the meat, and the salt in the rub acts as a dry brine, which helps the meat retain moisture.

Plastic wrap for raw meat, foil for cooked.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

foodeefish

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 08:28:02 PM »
 ???I always thought that it's best to leave the meat uncovered the night before so the outside dries out and creates a pellicle and the pellicle helps the smoke get absorbed more easily?

Is my thinking incorrect?

Thnx

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 01:19:15 AM »
Not incorrect but, the big exception to that is ribs and buts. The reasonably thick application of mustard and rub develops a crust not unlike uncovered meat. I leave fish, loins, bacon and poultry uncovered to dry the surface for up to twelve hours. Bacon I have left up to 48 hours.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 07:03:00 PM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 07:44:49 PM »
Totally agree with Brian.  I also like to wrap briskets (if not brined). 
Tony from NW Arkansas