Author Topic: Bought a #1, now I need to monitor temp.  (Read 6294 times)

dsskid

Bought a #1, now I need to monitor temp.
« on: September 19, 2014, 09:12:02 AM »
Basically, just getting started. 

I was given a charcoal Smoker from my daughter as a gift.  Nothing fanct, just a very low end from Lowe's, not very well made at all, ie tin doors and latch, no top vent, not insulated, etc... , but I didn't want to not use it, as my daugher bought it with her hard earned money, so I modified it by adding an adjustable top vent, and changed out the door latch to bolt latch. 

I used it a few time and was able to make some tastey ribs and sausage in it, which my family enjoyed, however the charcoal was a nuisance and with the difficulty of maintaining any sort of temperature for any length of time was extremely difficult, if not near impossible.  My family liked the smoked meat, but seeing the difficulties and all the attention needed with the charcoal, my wife questioned whether we would continue, or whether I should spend money on another unit.  I read about the Smokin-It electric, and how fairly easy it is to use.  At first, I was taken aback by the cost, because I had seen cheaper brands, but the more I read about the Smokin-It model, and it's durability, I knew if I was going to pursue smoking, I would have to have a good smoker.

So yesterday I decided to order a #1 with a chip insert. 

Now the need to monitor Internal Temp.  I'm not sure how much of an impact temp swings are with the unit, my assumption is as long as the internal temp of the meat is reached, all is well.  (Perhaps it's my newbie-ness coming through.)

I've read a lot about the $60 Mavericks, good and bad, but their durability seems suspect.  I don't want to spend $60 on something that is going to fail, or will need continuous maintenance to keep it working.

I've also read some reviews on the Thermoworks dual probe ($129?), it's accuracy and durability, but at it's price point, it's probably worth it to just add a few dollars and get an Auber PID ($188).

What is the consensus here?  Will I get a year or two out of the Maverick, or should I spend the $188 on the PID?
John, from Long Island, NY

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Bought a #1, now I need to monitor temp.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 09:58:34 AM »
To me the biggest appeal of the Maverick is the ability to remotely view your temps while away from the smoker. You can be inside the house and know whats going on. However I haven't bought one because I do not obsess about the smoker temps.

The box temp has large swings, sometimes as much as 25-30 degrees over short periods of time. But If you were to calculate your average it will equal your set temp. Don't worry about this, it is not an issue, you only notice if you are looking for it.

I set the dial on my #3 for what temp I want and leave it alone. I have a simple probe thermometer that tells me the internal temp of the meat in the smoker and that is what is important to me. While the model I am using does also show the smoker temp I ignore it, I trust the average.

This doesn't work for some folks, if they set 225 they MUST have 225 or very close to it to be comfortable and confident. That crowd spends the extra money and gets the Auber PID controller.

I have smoked with everything; simple charcoal units, big offset smokers, oil drums and pellet fed grills. None of them hold a consistent steady temp, all make good food. Part of what allows us to make Great food in nthe SI is the fact you don't have to stress about temp changes. Yes you may and often will get a 30 degree swing as the thermostat kicks in but you only notice it if you are looking for it. What you do not get is a temp spike of 125 degrees or more because you fire flared up while you weren't looking.

Go to a kitchen supply place or even the local Walmart. buy a good probe thermometer for about $35. A model with a straight probe is best, some are L shaped. If it ever fails you have a quick and easy return and replacement option. Drop the probe down the top vent never out the door.

Relax, trust the SI to do its thing and you cook to correct internal temp, the exception is ribs, those you cook for time and tenderness. Spend the money you save on meat you will be happier.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

dsskid

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 10:09:16 AM »

Thank you for your honest reply.  . 

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 11:04:57 AM by dsskid »

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 10:25:43 AM »
Yes the digital controller sits outside the smoker and a corded probe goes down the vent an into the meat a straight probe can drop down the hole. One of the L shaped probes must be fed up in reverse from inside the smoker, the L wont go through the vent. The unit pictured was $35. and works great. Your instant stick read is good but you must open the smoker and let all you heat and moisture escape to use it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:28:04 AM by Pork Belly »
- Sigmund Freud

dsskid

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 11:11:24 AM »
Didn't find the one you'e using at Walmart, but I did find it on Amazon for $24, so I ordered it.  Thanks again.

jpittssr

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 11:19:53 AM »

Relax, trust the SI to do its thing and you cook to correct internal temp, the exception is ribs, those you cook for time and tenderness. Spend the money you save on meat you will be happier.

This quote gets my vote as the BEST single piece of advise for today!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 11:38:55 AM »
That's $11.00 cheaper than what I paid......
- Sigmund Freud

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 01:28:18 PM »
While I agree with Brian that you shouldn't sweat over the up and down swings of the Smoker temp, I still like to monitor them to make sure that the ups and downs are averaging out pretty close to what I expect them to be.

For me, it is worth the few extra bucks it to get the dual probe Maverick that lets me see both temps on one device. I frequently skip the smoker temp when I am smoking two pieces of meat so I can have a probe in each. For example, if I am smoking two Boston Butts which I frequently do, I have a probe in each butt and can watch their progression from the comfort of my Lazy Boy.

I'm currently thinking about getting an Auber, not because I am concerned over the temp swings, but more so for the ability to program smokes with stepped temperature changes and holding temps. If/when I do this, I haven't decided if I'll skip the Maverick probes during smokes or not.

I definitely will not disparage anyone for going with the single probe though. Because I do agree with the premise that you do not really need a probe for the smoker. Really the Auber is not needed to produce great food either. It is just a nice option to have.

That is my 2 cents anyway.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

WeekendWarrior

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 01:39:35 PM »
I have a Maverick 733, and my biggest plus to the remote thermometers is the ability to set a min and max alarm temp.

I usually set the min to 140, and the max to 200, that way if for some reason it loses power and the meat temp drops below 140, or if it reaches max temp early, the alarm goes off.
Bruce - Iowa
#2 Owner
Iowa National Guard - Retired
Computer Geek

Walt

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 03:00:13 PM »
Greg, well said!  When I eventually get the auber, it will be for the same reason.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 09:40:35 PM »
I'm currently thinking about getting an Auber, not because I am concerned over the temp swings, but more so for the ability to program smokes with stepped temperature changes and holding temps.

Gregg - congratulations!  You "get it" about the Auber PID.  I don't love it because it holds temps within +/- 1° (although that's pretty darn cool), I love the "automation" aspect!  I have six individual, programmable steps that are triggered by time or internal temp of the meat!  How cool is that?  It takes "set and forget" to a new level!

John - The PID is absolutely NOT, repeat NOT, essential for great Q!  And, Brian is absolutely right about the need to monitor box temps.  I used my #1, with the stock controller, for over a year with absolutely NO problems!  I do have the Maverick ET-732, upgraded from the single-probe AccuTemp digital remote thermo, but only to have the 300' range of the second unit!  Nice to watch your meat temp without having to go outside sometimes!  I've had my Maverick about 1 1/2 years, with no issues at all...works great.  I haven't used the box temp probe in a long time.  Actually, I think I only used it a couple of times, ever, just to see.  Once I was satisfied that the box was averaging-out to my set temp, I didn't mess with it.  Set and go!

You'll find a couple of different opinions about the PID on here.  Read as many posts as you can about them, and decide for yourself!  Use the search bar for "Auber" or just "PID" and you'll have lots to read! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

bigbassnutt

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 08:01:29 PM »
I have the Maverick 733 and it works great but since I have gotten used to using the Auber, I haven't used the Maverick at all. When I first got the smoker I was constantly monitoring the temps and now I set it and forget it. I trust the Auber to control the box temp and if I am doing a butt, I know it will take the meat to the desired internal temp. Very consistent results without the worry.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

JDSwan87

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 09:18:20 PM »
Yes the digital controller sits outside the smoker and a corded probe goes down the vent an into the meat a straight probe can drop down the hole. One of the L shaped probes must be fed up in reverse from inside the smoker, the L wont go through the vent. The unit pictured was $35. and works great. Your instant stick read is good but you must open the smoker and let all you heat and moisture escape to use it.

I has the exact same thermometer. It worked great for the first 7 hours I had it! Then it went on the fritz and was saying the meat temp was 250', currently returning for a refund to Amazon. I only smoke maybe 10x a year, so what's the best bang for buck thermometer out there?
Josh=== Michigan/Toledo, Ohio border

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 04:30:47 PM »
I has the exact same thermometer. It worked great for the first 7 hours I had it! Then it went on the fritz and was saying the meat temp was 250', currently returning for a refund to Amazon. I only smoke maybe 10x a year, so what's the best bang for buck thermometer out there?

I have been more than happy with my ever-faithful Maverick ET-732.  Works like a champ, every time.  If the new 735 had been available when I bought mine, I would have gone this route:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2339.0

I really like the improved probes with this model, and it's only a few bucks more than I paid for the 732.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!