Author Topic: Smokin-It vs. the "Competition," or "Why I Love My Smokin-It Smoker!"  (Read 4246 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
All week, at my work, we've been celebrating "Driver Appreciation Week" with cookouts everyday.  Today, one of our major vendors came to supply us with pulled pork.  Here's the story of why I love my Smokin-It smoker!

I roll into the parking lot at 6 a.m. (pretty normal).  It's dark, and I'm the first one there.  As I pull in, I see our vendor's pickup truck, and a big trailer-mounted stick burner.  The pit master is in his lawn chair, next to the smoker.  He tells me he got there at midnight, and got the butts on.

As the morning progresses, I have several conversations with our visiting pit master, and learn that he built his rig over a year and a half, himself!  It was a beautiful smoker, adorned with the logos and stickers, and a great paint job.  He also told me about how he smokes at competitions, so his employer pays him to do events like this for customers.  The pit smelled great!  We talked a lot about BBQ, but I never mentioned to him what kind of smoker I use.  I knew, right away, that he was drunk on the "traditional" BBQ Kool-Aid.  That was OK with me.  He told me that he would "never" reheat BBQ; "If it's not right off the pit, it's pretty sorry!" he said.  I just nodded, and agreed.  Of course, I knew different.  If vacuum packed right away, and reheated properly, I dare anyone to tell the difference.

When the butts hit 170, he pulled them out and placed them on foil.  He then covered them with BBQ sauce, and double-wrapped.  "This is where the magic happens!," he said with a confident grin.  Yes Sir, that's where it happens!

When the butts reached 195°, he pulled them off the pit and placed them in a cooler.  OK, I thought, at least he's giving them a good rest. 

At 11 a.m., he began to unwrap the butts to pull.  They were looking, and smelling good.  He pulled a pan, and said "Now they get the good stuff!"  He slathered the pan with Head Country sauce, and mixed the pulled pork with the sauce.  Yikes, I thought.  Anytime you need to "enhance" pulled pork with sauce, it won't stand on its own!  Before saucing, I sampled the butt.  While moist and tender, it was very bland.  The hickory smoke flavor was light, and the bark was, well, "bland."  No other way to say it.

The pulled pork sammies were a big hit, and all went well.  We were all very appreciative of the effort and expense they went to, on our behalf.

The point of this story is not to disparage the pit master.  Great guy, and obviously well-invested in his craft.  The point is what I was thinking, most of the day:  "If he ONLY knew!"  He sat by that stick burner for 12 hours, tending, prodding, checking constantly.  And the result?  Less than I expected.  I was expecting something "spectacular!"  Big competition smoker, an accomplished pit master; I was expecting greatness!  What I got was over-sauced, middle-of-the-road pulled pork.  It was tasty, but not great.

What made me tell this story is what happened after he left.  As we were cleaning up, at least 10 people from the office made a point of coming to me, and telling me "It was good, but it wasn't yours!"  Or, "That tasted good, but I've had your ribs, so I'm spoiled!"  Believe me, the folks I work with don't give out compliments lightly!  The transportation business is tough.

I was also thinking the same thing (not to toot my own horn, but I'm pretty proud of the results I get).  I would put one of my brined butts up against the "competition" cookers ANY DAY!  I am so thankful to have found Smokin-It, and the wonderful world of Lazy Q!  Not tending a stick burner all night long?...Priceless!  Having folks compliment your Q over a competition cooker?...even MORE priceless!!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Smokin-It vs. the "Competition," or "Why I Love My Smokin-It Smoker!"
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 09:39:55 AM »
Great story Tony. I am always amazed at what a good job some of the home smokers do and how it puts to shame that which comes from a commercial operation. In the small military town where I live we have had BBQ restaurants open and a year or so later close down.  High prices and poor quality.  Talked to my brother a week or so ago and he had just finished up some ribs for the family on his SI 3. Another success and he is still amazed at what a great job his smoker does with so little effort.  We had company and I did a butt and the folks didn't believe you could get great food by doing it yourself. Seeing/eating is believing.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

jpittssr

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 10:15:16 AM »
He sat by that stick burner for 12 hours, tending, prodding, checking constantly.
 Not tending a stick burner all night long?...Priceless!  Having folks compliment your Q over a competition cooker?...even MORE priceless!!

Perfect explanation of why I sold my Lang stick burner and became totally committed to "Lazy Q"

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 10:32:47 AM »
I experienced the same thing at a graduation party for one of my cousins this summer. They had two big stick burners about the same size as the one in your picture and they smoke two very large whole hogs.

And similar to your explanation, the smell was wonderful. But the results were ho-hum. The bark was pretty much non-existent and the flavor was just really bland.

It was a very fun experience and we had a great time there with my family. But, I would put my pulled pork up against any I have tasted. Not saying mine is better than everyone else's. But I am definitely in the ballpark with so very little effort.

Great Story!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

es1025

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 01:27:29 PM »
A friend of mine in work has a stick burner. He talks about real bbq, i tried his pulled pork and brisket, It was good, but my opinion and other employees said my product is far better.  Better flavor (his had too much smoke) and the better bark and rub.

Based on our analysis SI 5 all other 0.

He walked away like a dog who did something wrong, tail between his a$$.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 08:28:32 PM by es1025 »
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

mnsmoker

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 02:43:33 PM »
Over the last ten years I couldn't even tell you how many hrs. I tended my offset stick burner, hundreds for sure, but boy that's one beautiful rig, sure brings back memories, and that's where they will stay just memories couldn't imagine going back, just prepped to 7 lb. Butts for Friday night party one thing I know for sure they'll be good and no tending required......great story! Oh and I'm going to brine em for the first time ever...eager to see if there is a difference...can they get any better!??
Jim from Minnesota

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 07:13:49 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, guys!  Yeah, it really made me appreciate what I have!  He left us one of the wrapped butts, so I threw it in the crock pot this morning (still foil-wrapped).  When I pulled it, I didn't sauce it, like he did.  The flavor was better today (you could taste the pork), but the bark was non-existent!  What little bark there was had no real flavor, it was just a different color. ???   Not my nice chewy, flavor-filled bark, for sure!  (That's my favorite part).

Yes, Jim, it was a beautiful rig.  He's a body shop tech, and is very good.  It took him 1.5 years to build, and it was very well-made.  I looked it over well, just to admire the craftsmanship.  I would venture to say it would be a $5,000.00+ rig, were he to build one for you.  Definitely impressive, if you're trying to impress at the contests, but all I thought was how much meat and supplies I could have bought for what I saved!  lol!

Maybe, one day, he'll have a chance to sample what I can do the Lazy Q way.  Just might rock his world!   8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Snoopy

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 10:33:30 PM »
That's a good story. I live in a rural area so not much around. There is a place few miles down the road from me that cooks bbq. Before I bought my SI 1 I talked to him about what he used. I think he said Traeger with the pucks. I told him about smoking-it and that I was contemplating buying one. He said he never heard of it but would look into it. Well needless to say I bought my #1 and have never been back over to eat his bbq  8). I will say in all fairness he turns out some pretty good Q though. I used to buy his brisket, if I remember it was about 11.99/lb smoked. Now I do my own lazy Q for much less $! Luv it  ;D
Lance from Woodstock OH, #1 owner

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 07:42:59 PM »
Great, Lance!  Maybe you can get him to start buying yours! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas