Author Topic: Smoking with herbs?  (Read 12020 times)

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
Smoking with herbs?
« on: September 17, 2014, 10:09:06 AM »
OK, I get all the Colorado herb jokes but I am serious.  8) Do any of you put herbs like rosemary in your smoker to flavor the meat?
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Walt

Re: Smoking with herbs?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 11:28:54 AM »
The last post I did on lamb chops were smoked in a fresh herb paste.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 03:22:28 PM »
Walt, I saw that. Looked yummy by the way. I was more referring to using something like rosemary in the smoker box. Imparts flavor but by different method.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 05:16:43 PM »
Personally I haven't used herbs when smoking. I liked garlic and herbs when grilling or roasting chicken, but am hesitant to mix in a dose of smoke. It;s not really a flavor profile I would want. You can certainly try it for yourself.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 05:58:39 PM »
I think it is worth a shot, although it would probably burn pretty quickly.  Perhaps if it was wrapped in foil with a few holes it might withstand the heat.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 10:03:53 PM »
I've seen a few things, around the net, about some "affluent" steak houses, and such, advertising that they smoke with rosemary (maybe parsley, sage and thyme, too? hehe), but I've never tried it.  Here's why:  I think it's a gimmick to sound better, for marketing.  I agree that any herbs in the smoke box would dissipate very quickly, thus imparting little or no flavor.  But, just saying it imparts a flavor thought in the reader's mind.  It's the old advertising schtick - "Sell the sizzle, not the steak!

My point is that those herbs would be better served on the meat, in a rub, or in a brine - not the smoke box.  Just my 2¢...
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 11:01:31 PM »
I've seen a few things, around the net, about some "affluent" steak houses, and such, advertising that they smoke with rosemary (maybe parsley, sage and thyme, too? hehe), but I've never tried it.  Here's why:  I think it's a gimmick to sound better, for marketing.  I agree that any herbs in the smoke box would dissipate very quickly, thus imparting little or no flavor.  But, just saying it imparts a flavor thought in the reader's mind.  It's the old advertising schtick - "Sell the sizzle, not the steak!

My point is that those herbs would be better served on the meat, in a rub, or in a brine - not the smoke box.  Just my 2¢...

A gimmick?  :o

It's not good or bad, just another way to add flavor...I say...take it or leave it.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/119959/indoor-cold-smoking#post_794788
~Martin

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 07:40:13 AM »

Yes, I almost always throw some herbs in the brine, and I have even added some of Jeff Philips rub to the brine from time to time...this seems to work well.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 07:46:04 PM »
I wasn't trying to disparage anyone that smokes with herbs - just voicing my thoughts.  I have never burned rosemary, or any other herbs, but I can't imagine the smoke imparts the flavor of the herb into the meat.  I mean, wood is the same way!  If you smell a piece of hickory, apple, etc., it doesn't smell like the taste it gives the meat. 
Maybe "gimmick" was a poor choice of words, but that's how it always struck me. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Muttley

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 04:31:00 PM »
I'd be concerned about the harshness some herbs could have as a gas, I think I'd do a test run with only the desired herb before I go all in.  I think a tinfoil wrap would be in order regardless. 

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 05:19:41 PM »
I would definitely wrap in foil if the herbs are headed to the smoke box...I wonder if they would work better on the side of the smoke box?   Best bet would be to add them to the brine.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 05:29:55 PM »
Great comments guys. Maybe I will have to do a taste test to see if I can come to a conclusion. Rosemary is the natural candidate to try.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 05:50:49 PM »
Open the envelope...this is your assignment, if you chose to accept it!   Report back with findings!  This could be the discovery that takes the SI to the next level.  Cheers!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 06:09:33 PM »
I have seen grilling programs where they have placed a sprig of fresh herbs directly on top of the charcoal in a grill. I don't see why this would be any different.

I'm not a big fresh herb guy, so I'll let you guys try it first and tell us how good it is :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 08:20:03 PM »
I have seen grilling programs where they have placed a sprig of fresh herbs directly on top of the charcoal in a grill. I don't see why this would be any different.

Kind of how I see it, Gregg - presentation.  Like putting a piece of fresh parsley on the plate, maybe?
Tony from NW Arkansas