Author Topic: Easy Q  (Read 2605 times)

es1025

Easy Q
« on: September 14, 2014, 08:02:51 AM »
I have some friends in work that call our method of smoking the easy bake oven.

I tell them that you can maintain a fire all you want, my goal is to produce the best q possible.

I would rather spent my time on rubs and procedures then chasing a smoke ring.

I actually believe its pure jealousy based on the fact they cant wander to far from the fire and cant enjoy there friends and family.

Smokin-it forever!

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

jpittssr

Re: Easy Q
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 11:20:02 AM »
I have some friends in work that call our method of smoking the easy bake oven.

I tell them that you can maintain a fire all you want, my goal is to produce the best q possible.

There will always be two camps. On one side you have the good ole boys. They like to set up all night, drink beer and tell tale tales.
In the other camp you have, Shall we say "More mature guys" that have grown tired of all the hooping and hollering and just want to sit down to the best meal possible and still sleep nights.

I am enjoying the latter.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 11:37:26 AM »
Right on, both Eds!! ;D   I'll take eating great Q over fighting fire for hours on end any day of the week!  More power to the guys that think that's the only way to make "real" BBQ, but when I get comments that what I make is the "best I've ever had," I think results speak for themselves.  All about the prep, not the level of difficulty!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 11:53:44 AM »
I am all in on the lazy Q!   While I would have loved trying out a WSM (and almost went that way), I feared that I would be more frustrated than anything controlling the temps and would walk away from smoking.   With the SI2, I look forward every weekend to smoking something and knowing that it will be good!   

Today, I am mixing meats...two tenderloins and three chicken breasts wrapped in bacon.   While I think they will finish close together, I am going to probe the tenderloin first, remove at 145IT, and transfer the probe to the chicken breasts...first time trying this out.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 11:58:29 AM »
Sounds like that'll be a great meal, Steve! :P
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 05:06:18 PM »
Ahem. 

Now boys, remember...

It's how you use your equipment.

:-\  8) ;)
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 06:51:44 PM »
Well-said, Steve!  It's all about how you use your tools, but sometimes it's about the tool!  You can hand-cut dovetail joints when building drawers, or you can use a router with a jig.  I've done it both ways, and both results were beautiful, but I vastly prefer the latter method!  If the first person who built a fire, and smoked meat, had an SI handed to him, I'm pretty sure he'd have never built another fire! ;)   Just sayin...
Tony from NW Arkansas