Author Topic: Snack Stix  (Read 2636 times)

mtmedic

Snack Stix
« on: September 11, 2014, 02:57:26 PM »
Thought I would try some snack stix. Used Hi Mountain Snack Stix mix, prepped as directions, put in the smoker (#2) with 1.5oz of oak. Started at 140 until smoke was almost gone. Went to put brand new James Jerky Dryer and guess what. The dryer ran for about 10 sec and then shut off and would not restart. So being pissed off that I have a 80.00 door stop now, I cranked the temp up to about 200 and let it run until the internal temp was 160. I pulled the stix and quick plunge in ice water. They have good flavor, but are real greasy on the outside and the casing seems loose. going to try and finish them in the oven at 170 ( lowest it will go) with the door open to rid excess moisture. Plus, when I smoked them, it was one long rope. In the oven, I cut them before I put them in so they would shed some grease. Will let you know how they turn out.

I'm not real happy with the dryer
Ron, Paramedic, in Big Sky Country

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Snack Stix
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 07:05:23 PM »
Sorry about your day, Ron!  It's not a doorstop - Steve will take care of you.  I've contacted him about it already.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

mtmedic

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 08:11:59 PM »
All In all, the stix turned out really good learned some things. Next time I will cut them before smoking, it will help the grease run out, maybe a little more wood
Ron, Paramedic, in Big Sky Country

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 11:45:47 PM »
The stix can handle the wood. I would go with 3-4 ounces.

Sorry about your experience with the jerky dryer. Like Tony said, Smokin-It will make it right for you.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 01:50:41 AM »
Your jerky dryer issue didn't help your quality control. I feel that your biggest problem is running a low temp I do my sticks at 200 and cook to a 150 IT, then plunge in a cooler full of ice water.

I have not made sticks in an SI, but have made a bunch in a Bradley. I always started cold meat in a hot smoker. I will likely do the same for my first batch in my #3. I want a short cook time in a hot smokey enviroment. I agree sticks can handle plenty of smoke especially if you have added High Temp Cheese.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 01:19:38 AM by Pork Belly »
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 06:44:13 PM »
Your jerky dryer issue didn't help your quality control. I that your biggest problem is running a low temp I do my sticks at 200 and cook to a 150 IT, then plunge in a cooler full of ice water.

I have not made sticks in an SI, but have made a bunch in a Bradley. I always started cold meat in a hot smoker. I will likely do the same for my first batch in my #3. I want a short cook time in a hot smokey enviroment. I agree sticks can handle plenty of smoke especially if you have added High Temp Cheese.

I know everyone recommends "cold smoker, cold meat," but Brian's technique sounds like a very rational exception to that rule! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!