Author Topic: A Question of Timing  (Read 3435 times)

TARDISgirl

A Question of Timing
« on: September 09, 2014, 11:56:00 PM »
Has anyone done baby backs and brats at the same time?  Last time I did ribs, I did 4.5 hours at 225 (came out great), and Johnsonville brats at 250 for 2 hours.  With the lower temp (I was planning on 225) how much longer do you reckon I will need to keep the brats in for?  I was thinking 3 hours at 225. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Michelle from Arizona
Owner Model #1, #3, and Weber Q1000 (Small, but Mighty!)

jpittssr

Re: A Question of Timing
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 11:46:01 AM »
Has anyone done baby backs and brats at the same time?  Last time I did ribs, I did 4.5 hours at 225 (came out great), and Johnsonville brats at 250 for 2 hours.  With the lower temp (I was planning on 225) how much longer do you reckon I will need to keep the brats in for?  I was thinking 3 hours at 225. Any thoughts or suggestions?
I tried some Johnsonville brats (two flavors) and had to give them away. I don't remember the temp Finished them but my wife and I tried them. I had never had brats before so I didn't know what to expect. The casing was chewy and the insides were dripping in grease. They really had a good flavor but the grease was not very appealing.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 12:03:01 PM »
I think it would be tough to cook both brats and ribs at the same time because you really do not want to open the smoker until at least 4.5-5.0 hours into the smoke and that would be too long for the brats.

I think it would be easier to do them separately with the ribs first and let them rest. You could then smoke the brats for an hour at 250 and then finish them on the grill.

That would be my recommendation at least.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Walt

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 12:09:22 PM »
3 hours @ 225 should be fine.  I have smoked both boudin & sausage like this with great results.  I have also gone 2 hours @ 250 with great results.  Sausage is pretty forgiving.  Lately, i have been useing pecan for these cooks.  Really nice.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 12:47:10 PM »
3 hours @ 225 should be fine.  I have smoked both boudin & sausage like this with great results.  I have also gone 2 hours @ 250 with great results.  Sausage is pretty forgiving.  Lately, i have been useing pecan for these cooks.  Really nice.

I agree that 3 hours at 225 should be fine.

My point was that I didn't like the idea of opening the door to pull the sausage out while the ribs still needed another 1.5-2.5 hours. This kind of messes up the "no-peaky" thing.

Overcooking sausage can pop holes in the casings and let all of the juice run out which results in a very dry sausage.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

TARDISgirl

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 06:24:28 PM »
Just pulled the brats. They were in at 225 for 3 hours. Came out great. Now I'm waiting on ribs and beans.
Michelle from Arizona
Owner Model #1, #3, and Weber Q1000 (Small, but Mighty!)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 07:08:32 PM »
Looks great, Michelle!  One suggestion - try resizing your pictures smaller, as it's hard to look at when it's so big.  This might help:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1272.0
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!