Author Topic: So, You think you have "Lazy Q"?  (Read 1925 times)

jpittssr

So, You think you have "Lazy Q"?
« on: September 09, 2014, 11:57:54 AM »
I remember when I first bought my Maverick 732 remote I thought I had to be in hog heaven (pun intended) I could sit in the house and watch the smoker temperature.
But alas, I still had to feed the stick burning monster pretty often.
Me, being old and lazy, started looking for a better way.
Maybe I can just add a gas burner? What about an automatic auger to add some of them fancy pellets or pucks.
Shoot, might as well face it, if you burn wood for ten or twelve hours you're going to have to clean out ashes besides buying a chain saw (to cut wood) and of course I need a pickup for hauling the wood. Did I mention that I am lazy?
Finally, after almost two years on extremely scientific research ( I read it on the internet), I found the answer on this forum. Here I found people with Smokin-it smokers that were not doing all that work. Some of them even hat a Auber PID to control the temp. Got it!
Bought the # 2 and added the Auber.
BUT, the crowning touch: I don't even use the Maverick remote any more. I requires inserting a probe ant turning it on. Nope, The smoker is in the cook house in the back yard and I can sit inside the sun-room at the computer and use my binoculars to read the Auber.

See if you can top that for "Lazy Q." (letting your wife do the work don't count.)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 04:50:58 PM by jpittssr »

prudentsmoker

Re: So, You think you have "Lazy Q"?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 06:44:48 PM »
When  I still had my Oklahoma Joe's I bought a web camera so I could go to my friend's house and work on the Honda and monitor the temps on my iPhone. Don't need it anymore with the #3.
Brian from Wichita

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 07:15:27 PM »
Man oh man, you GET IT, Ed! 8)   Welcome to our world! ;)   Btw, I can't remember the last time I fired-up the Maverick, either!  And, you got me beat with the binoculars - I have to actually walk out on my porch to look at the Auber. :(
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

mnsmoker

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 08:57:43 PM »
Might have you guys beat, I have the single probe box temp only Auber, I don't use my maverick anymore' when I cook a Butt I don't even look at the smoker for 10 hrs. just go about my business and let it work, check with my thermapen after 10 hrs. or so then a couple more hrs. or whatever it needs, it seems like years ago when cooking a Butt in my #2 resembled something like work, now I do 1-2 a week...... definitely got a kick out of the binoculars though.
Jim from Minnesota