Author Topic: Why Auber?  (Read 6109 times)

bigfoot21075

Why Auber?
« on: September 09, 2014, 11:22:23 AM »
I guess I am confused. I am close to pulling the trigger on a #3 with cart and some other items. All in I am at around $800.00 + $100+ more for delivery to Maryland. After all this, why do I need to buy another device to control it? If stock it is so woefully unreliable shouldn't it be redesigned?
Large Big Green Egg, Natural Gas Weber, Weber Silver Kettle,  Roundboy Wood Fired  Pizza Oven, Smokinit #3

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Why Auber?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 11:29:51 AM »
There is no need to buy the Auber. I have been using my #3 for close to a year and have not had a single problem.

The Auber is a nice addon, but definitely not necessary.

The main reason to add the Auber is if you want the ability to program your smokes. Maybe start at a certain temp, go up to a higher temp after x minutes, and set to a resting temp after the meat hits a specified intnernal temp.

This is a great option, and cool to have. But it by no means is necessary to turn out some of the best product that you have ever tasted.

I have some things I would like to get after a year in like a Jerky Dryer, some Seafood racks, a cart (I am going to make my own), and an Auber. But the Auber is at the bottom of that list depending on how much I can afford.

So, don't sweat the need for the Auber and pull the plug on the #3 and if you want an Auber down the road you can always get one.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Walt

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 11:40:50 AM »
The auber is not necessary @ all.  I do not have one.  I don't believe it makes any of  the food better.  It is a nice piece of equipment that has some nice benefits but it will not improve the flavor, moisture or tenderness.  Its a digital controller that allows for programmed steps & very accurate temps. Some people enjoy the gadgets.
This machine is great & absolutely nothing else is needed except a good thermometer, a digital scale & meat. Buy it, use it for awhile & then decide if you WANT an auber, because you definitely don't NEED it.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

jpittssr

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 12:00:23 PM »
I guess I am confused. I am close to pulling the trigger on a #3 with cart and some other items. All in I am at around $800.00 + $100+ more for delivery to Maryland. After all this, why do I need to buy another device to control it? If stock it is so woefully unreliable shouldn't it be redesigned?
I think you missed where I said you don't NEED an Auber. It comes under the heading of "nice to have gadgets"

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 12:14:11 PM »
As others have said, you don't need the auber.   I purchased a #2 about 1.5 years ago and it works fine for me without the need to keep temps in the +/- 1 degree range.   The analog controller heats the smoker beyond the set point, then lets it cool down below the set point.   For a 225F smoke, I typically see temps ranging from 210 to 240 (ie, +/- 15 degrees) but it all averages out to my set point of 225.    I think the auber is a nice addition if you want precision and perhaps some day I will add it just the fun of it, but for now I am "happy happy happy" with the smoker as is!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 07:40:37 PM »
Rob, the guys are right - the Auber is definitely NOT required to produce stellar Q!  I used my stock #1 for almost a year before using one.  With that said, let me add that once you use one, you won't want to go back to the analog controller (especially if you're much of a techie, or "cool tool" guy).  I used a flip phone for a lot of years before owning a smart phone.  While it worked great, and met my needs just fine, I wouldn't want to give up what my smart phone can provide and go back to it.

The main advantage to the Auber, aside from +/- 1° accuracy, is the ability to program 6 distinct steps that are triggered by time or internal temp of the meat.  Say you want to smoke at 200° for 3 hours, then bump up to 235° until the meat hits 155°, then "hold" the meat at 140° for 2 hours?  No problem!  Set it, forget it, come back when it's done!  Can't even do that with an $1800 Cookshack!  I won't smoke without it now.

Is it something you need right away?  Definitely not.  Are you still spending less than the nearest competitor (Smokin Tex), with the Auber included?  Absolutely.  Plus, when you get ready, it's a one-time purchase...it'll last a long time, if cared for.

Just 2¢ from someone with experience with both.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 08:20:50 PM »
Great points, Tony!   In time, I may convert to the auber just to have the fun of programming the cook, but for now, I am doing fine with the original package.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 08:26:20 PM »
Rock on, Steve!  Maybe you'll pick up a great deal on one someday, that you just can't resist! lol.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

es1025

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 07:57:03 AM »
I bought the auber in order to eliminate the cycling of the thermostat, and to get the temperatures above 250 for poultry.

I created awesome q without the auber but now i have taken the q to the next level.

Its a nice to have, the holidays are around the corner.

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

bigfoot21075

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 11:29:26 AM »
THANKS EVERYONE!! I appreciate your help, these posts and lots of reading -  I think I understand. It is kind of like the BBQ guru for the Egg, nice to have but not a BBQ Stopper by any means.
Large Big Green Egg, Natural Gas Weber, Weber Silver Kettle,  Roundboy Wood Fired  Pizza Oven, Smokinit #3

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 12:08:23 PM »
THANKS EVERYONE!! I appreciate your help, these posts and lots of reading -  I think I understand. It is kind of like the BBQ guru for the Egg, nice to have but not a BBQ Stopper by any means.

You got it Bigfoot!

With your BBQ experience, we'll be looking for more posts from you after you get your Smokin-It. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 02:12:39 PM »
Is it possible to use one of the cheaper models that do no have multiple steps or settings? I saw some on the auber site that were for maintaining one set temp. I honestly dont think I "need" or want all the steps, but one single temp specifically' a low temp is appealing.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

jpittssr

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 04:38:06 PM »
Is it possible to use one of the cheaper models that do no have multiple steps or settings? I saw some on the auber site that were for maintaining one set temp. I honestly dont think I "need" or want all the steps, but one single temp specifically' a low temp is appealing.
I'm pretty sure you could use any that has the current ability. Or for that matter, it would have the PID operate a relay that has high current ability.
BUT, if I was going to buy anything I would like to have the dual probes so I could set the cooking temp and turn off based on internal meat temp.

If you only control cabinet temp you would still have a very stable cooking environment and just check it when ever you wanted.

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 07:42:52 PM »

If that's what you're looking for, I don't think it would be a problem.  You might want to contact Auber to make sure it has the wattage output to handle the 1200 w element on the #3 - that would be the only concern.
Tony from NW Arkansas