Author Topic: My First and Last Brisket.  (Read 2034 times)

jpittssr

My First and Last Brisket.
« on: September 09, 2014, 09:57:51 AM »
Everybody's talking about brisket.
If you go to Texas and eat BBQ you probably had brisket. I see some of the guys/gals on the forum really get it right and turn out some wonderful Q.
Me??? not so much. I was beginning to get an inferiority complex because I had never smoked a brisket!
So, a round of several stores found me at Piggly Wiggly yesterday. I don't know what they are feeding cows and hogs these days but it must be expensive. Looks like prices have more than doubled in the recent weeks. Sam's Club Brisket Flat was $6.99lb. I passed on that. Publix, exact same price. Passed again. At the Pig, I found 1 whole brisket for $4.18 ( last one at this price. Others are $5.50) but this is a cost plus store where they add 10% at the counter. si $4.59 +tax= about $5.00 lb. 13+lbs netted me a bag of 5 pounds of hard fat even though I left a 1/4 inch cap. Now, with almost half waste i'm looking at almost $10.00 lb and the point is going to wind up as "Burnt ends" ( Which I hope we can eat). that leaves me with a flat that I thought was too expensive at $6.99

bigfoot21075

Re: My First and Last Brisket.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 11:09:44 AM »
Maybe if we stopped using a primary feed/food (corn) source to make very inefficient fuel (ethanol) food prices and many other prices would go back to normal.... BUT guess that is just not PC enough for the loony left.
Large Big Green Egg, Natural Gas Weber, Weber Silver Kettle,  Roundboy Wood Fired  Pizza Oven, Smokinit #3

Walt

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 11:44:55 AM »
I'm with you Bigfoot. Ethanol sucks!
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 07:19:01 PM »
Lots of factors effecting meat prices this year, but the price of corn is certainly valid.  We've been hit with the virus killing all the baby pigs, drought, extreme heat & cold, you name it!  It's been a "perfect storm" year for meat producers!  Oh, and lots of new government regulations hasn't helped, either!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!