Author Topic: First Whole chickens on Model 2  (Read 2488 times)

jpittssr

First Whole chickens on Model 2
« on: September 06, 2014, 12:25:57 PM »
I just finished my whole birds.
Brined for 6 hrs.
1+ gal water
1+ cup salt (kosher & sea salt)
1+ cup white sugar
3 tbl spoons poultry rub
Heated all this (Not boiled) until thoroughly dissolved.
In a clean 5 gal food grade plastic bucket the brine and ice cubes to cool then added two five lb chicken that had already been prepared.
NOTE: the + means all these measurements were on the big side and not terribly exact. There was enough to cover the chicken.
Brined yesterday then rinsed thoroughly, patted dry and coated all over with Olive oil. Sprinkled with poultry rub and applied under breast skin. Into refrigerator overnight.
Started smoker at 8AM set for 275 and breast temp of 165. Both birds on bottom rack,

10AM 165 degrees and end signal. Instant read thermometer read slightly higher. 2 oz of cherry in foil.

The taste test was the best I have ever had. This includes a LOT of chicken smoked on the stick burner. May be because this is my first try at brining. Have known about it for years but just too lazy to do it. Well, I am sold on brining. And the rub I used was Lawry's Chicken & Poultry Rub. As expected it lives up to the Lawry rep.
Before I opened the door I saw a few drops of moisture run down the center of the door. Opening the door was like opening a steam cabinet. This is without a pan of anything added.
I'll let the pictures tell the story.

As expected the skin was not crisp but the flavor UMMMM......
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 12:42:14 PM by jpittssr »

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: First Whole chickens on Model 2
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 04:15:52 PM »
Looks great, Ed!  Like you, I resisted brining forever.  But, once I discovered the wonder of it, it's a very valuable tool in my arsenal! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 05:16:33 PM »
Nice job Ed!   When I have done whole chickens (and the pics make me want to do a couple tomorrow!), I noticed a lot of liquid in the cavity of the chickens, so I am with you, I don't think you need a loaf pan of juice.  The moisture is in the chicken.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 07:00:23 PM »
Looks good Ed. I would recommend saving your sea-salt for a good grilled steak. The subtle flavor and texture differences are lost in a brin but show up on some good beef.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud