Author Topic: Guide to Smoking Times, Temperatures and Woods  (Read 99840 times)

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
Re: Guide to Smoking Times, Temperatures and Woods
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2015, 10:14:24 PM »
Tony - you might want to post your peach wood in "For Sale or Trade." 

Had it posted there after xmas (http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2573.msg17906#msg17906).

Ralph, I'll look at shipping costs and PM you.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2015, 08:47:35 PM »
Oops...sorry, Tony - missed the For Sale post. :-[
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Gary J

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2015, 06:50:14 PM »
Tony, It appears there is a guide available to smoking times, temps & woods, but I can't find it.  How do I see it to download??  I'm a Newbie here, looking for help.  Thanks  Gary J

1stlink

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2015, 07:19:13 PM »
Tony, It appears there is a guide available to smoking times, temps & woods, but I can't find it.  How do I see it to download??  I'm a Newbie here, looking for help.  Thanks  Gary J
Welcome aboard Gary J,
The first post in this thread includes a downloadable PDF
here it is.
http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2151.0;attach=3582

Gary J

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2015, 09:38:55 PM »
Thank you much, I'll put it to good use as I start getting into this. 

DivotMaker

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2015, 09:45:14 PM »
Welcome to the club, Gary!  When you have a minute or two, head over to the "Introductions" section and tell us a little about yourself.  We like to get to know our new "Club Lazy Q" members! 8)   Nice to see a town in your signature line, too.  You never know what SI owner might be your neighbor! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

jbauch357

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2015, 07:09:37 PM »
Alder would be a good (and I think traditional) additional wood type for Salmon, for the next time you're doing updates on the sheet.
Josh - Western Washington (hell)

DivotMaker

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2015, 08:17:24 PM »
Thanks Josh.
Tony from NW Arkansas

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2015, 12:31:33 AM »
I just ordered some Alder, Sweet Cherry, and Hickory. I plan to try some Alder mixed with a little something else for a near term Salmon smoke.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

1stlink

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2015, 04:20:39 PM »
I just got some Alder but didn't use yet. Supposed to be good for salmon and other fish as well as other meats. I need to do some reading on the fish section before I jump in..  ???

milehi

• Model #2 owner as of 2015
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2015, 09:18:44 PM »
Hello,

I'm new here, Denver guy and recent owner of a Model 2 unit, have done a couple briskets and the Best BBQ beans on the planet thus far  (look it up, they are).

The guide is great, but my question is one of addition -- I need to do two 3.7lb whole chickens and two ~4lb racks of baby backs.
Is there a quasi-time-formula for lbs o' meat?  Do you pretty much go by 1.5 hours per lb and watch your internal temps?

I have thermometers, I *get* that, but the problem is the WIFE wants to know what time we will be eating, so need to make sure I allow enough time.
This will be my first entertaining gig with the new box, if we cannot eat until midnight, I'm getting the stink eye!

I will have about 15 lbs of food in the box [2 birds, 2 baby back slabs], so hoping for some ballpark guidance on what to plan for.

• all at same time? or ribs in first?
  • birds above or below the ribs?
  • etc.?
My guess would be ribs up top and an hour or two before the birds, but...??

Any insight is much appreciated!

Thanks!

-Bill

Limey

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2015, 10:24:12 PM »
My experience is that it always takes longer than you expect. Just tonight an 8# chicken took way longer than forecast and made dinner late (although delicious). You should figure imo on the birds taking four hours and the ribs taking about six hours. My guess, and it is only that since I do not normally mix smokes, , is that you are about right- ribs in first, on top but two hours, not one, before the birds. You can always rest meat, actually for quite extended periods, if you follow the guidance on this forum. Hurrying things up tends to create disastrous results in my experience
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2015, 09:55:06 AM »
Bill,
I would not recommend staggering the meat unless you are using something different for a smoke source.  The smoke period for these smokers is very short and wrestling with a hot chip box is not a smart thing to do.  For a mixed smoke, I would recommend starting everything together and pulling and wrapping the meat that is done first.  In your case, the chickens will stay hot and moist in a cooler with the towels.
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

milehi

• Model #2 owner as of 2015
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2015, 11:19:19 AM »
Bill,
I would not recommend staggering the meat unless you are using something different for a smoke source.  The smoke period for these smokers is very short and wrestling with a hot chip box is not a smart thing to do.  For a mixed smoke, I would recommend starting everything together and pulling and wrapping the meat that is done first.  In your case, the chickens will stay hot and moist in a cooler with the towels.

Thanks Limey and Dave, that was what I was overlooking clearly, better to start/smoke together, then let the ribs go longer as needed rather than introduce birds part way as you said. 
So obvious Dave, now that you said (wrote) it!
Thanks!

Trip

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2015, 08:17:51 AM »
Just saw some of the initial posts requesting a non pdf version.

I did a quick convert when I first saw this to a google doc spreadsheet, so I could make my own notes and changes to it based on my smokes.  I can access it from all my tablets and phones to do edits.   Here is the original version with no changes if anyone wants to do the same.  I like this way better because I can give access to other google accounts to make edits if I wish. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zC7m5RJ-bUp-lkPeRIJUh-MEGxxLe0XCYimWrbXz01Y/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 08:23:34 AM by Trip »