Author Topic: I need some clarification...  (Read 5544 times)

smythe

I need some clarification...
« on: September 04, 2014, 02:52:48 PM »
The recipe for Pork Butt on the smokin-it website says it will take about 6 hours for the temp probe to read 170 degrees.  However, I see plenty of discussion about how folks plan on 1.5 to 2 hours per pound, and how they smoke for 10-12-13 hours for a 5-7 pound butt.  So before I try my first butt, which duraction is correct?  thanks. 

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: I need some clarification...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 03:52:25 PM »
I think the recipe is calling for slice pork which can be done at an IT of 170.   For pulled pork, you will want to the IT to be at least 195, thus the extra time.    If you are going for pulled pork, then you could estimate about 1.5 hrs/lb to get to an IT of 195-200, but you will want to also add in time for resting of about 2 hours.   The rest time is done in heavy duty foil, double wrapped and in a cooler if you have one handy.   

The temperature setting is also important...the recipe on the site has a set temp of 200 (if I recall), but you will want to go higher than that for a boston butt - I usually set to 230F.

Last weekend I did a 10# BB that took about 12 hours to reach an IT of 203, but again, you want to allow factor in the rest time to your estimate.   It is always better to start too early and have time on the back end, then to start too late and miss the desired time for eating!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

jpittssr

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 05:13:22 PM »
Steve has it right.
the only thing I might add is an unpredictable amount of time for the dreaded stall.
The way I do it is allow 2 hrs/lb +2 hrs rest. Then I set smoker to cook @ 225 till IT of 195 then go to a hold temp of 140. never actually use the hold temp because I am monitoring temp remotely but just in case I want the meat to stay safe.
The last butt I did was 7+ lbs and took 14 hours @225

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 05:35:59 PM »
Good point, Ed.  I have noticed that when I had set the temp to 225F in the past, I needed closer to 2 hrs/lb, but recently I have cut that time down by setting for 230F or so.   You make a good point as well about lowering the temp...if the butt finishes too early, you can always lower the smoker temp down to 140F and let it sit on "warm and hold" until you are ready for the 2hr rest period.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

mnsmoker

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 06:01:35 PM »
I think 6 hrs. to reach an IT of 170 might be about right, give or take a little, now figure in a stall where your temp will actually drop by 5 degrees or so, add a secondary stall and your at 10 -12 hrs for a 7 lb. butt maybe longer just depends how long it takes to get through the stalls.
Jim from Minnesota

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 07:12:50 PM »
Some of the recipes on the company website are a little "dated."  Not that they're bad, it's just that they were created when the company was younger, and this great resource wasn't in place yet.  They were a starting point for a lot of new owners, when they didn't have the "technical support" this forum offers.  We're now trying to direct all new owners to the forum.

Today is a different story.  I would recommend anyone, who questions the times/temps on the website recipes, come here for their info.  We, fortunately, now have hundreds of folks who have "been there, done that," so there is a lot of great experience here.  The guy's comments, above, are spot-on (imho), and I'm proud to also have them as a resource!  Not many questions this group can't answer! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 12:46:17 AM »
I keep seeing that 170 or 175 number offered up for sliced butt. It is not necessary to cook that high. The meat is safe at 135 & up. Going higher than that is a personal preference, not mandatory. Pork can be safely eaten at medium; slightly pink in appearance. It will be moist and flavorful. Unless my goal is pulled pork do not cook swine past 150. A ham, bacon and many sausages are only cooked to 150 when processed and are considered "Fully Cooked" If you like it that done, cool, I am just saying it is not necessary.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

es1025

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 01:02:45 PM »
I recommend using this forum. We have evolved with tried and true recipes and techniques.  My pulled pork goes until 201.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

smythe

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 01:26:33 PM »
excellent.  thanks for the clarification.  this board is an awesome resource.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 01:27:27 PM »
First, let me qualify that I have not sliced a butt yet. It is on my short list of things to do.

But my thoughts are these:

Yes, pork is safe to eat at 150. But, I think that at 150, you would have a lot more unrendered fat and connective tissue that you would at 170. I think smoking to 170 would render more of the fat and provide a more pleasing sliced pork.

Just my guess/assumption on this. I will defer to those that do this regularly and may have more insight.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 08:57:34 PM »
First, let me qualify that I have not sliced a butt yet. It is on my short list of things to do.

But my thoughts are these:

Yes, pork is safe to eat at 150. But, I think that at 150, you would have a lot more unrendered fat and connective tissue that you would at 170. I think smoking to 170 would render more of the fat and provide a more pleasing sliced pork.

Just my guess/assumption on this. I will defer to those that do this regularly and may have more insight.

Absolutely, Gregg!  It's not just about safe temp, it's about the quality of the meat.  A butt, for slicing, at 170-175 is very tender and moist.  Plus, I know today's pork can be pink and still safe to eat, but most people I know won't!  Unless it's from curing salt, I don't want my pork pink!  White, tender and juicy only, for me!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!