Author Topic: Turkey-First Smoke  (Read 4525 times)

Me2

Turkey-First Smoke
« on: September 02, 2014, 10:00:50 AM »
Just wanted to say thanks for all the good advice on this forum. I smoked my first turkey on Sat. and took it to a church potluck Sunday. Among all the food my platter of turkey was one of the few totally empty.

Used Tony's suggestion of stuffing the cavity with a mixture of chopped onion, carrot, and celery. Liked the result.

Have been traveling most of the summer so limited smoking time. But I find daily reading of the forum posts a must. Makes me want to get home and do another smoke.

I have a #2  and enjoy smoking for friends. I also tend to fill up the smoker whenever I do a smoke and freeze most of it. That way I enjoy the meat for a long time and get an even and thorough smoke.
Martha
#2 happy owner, Georgetown, TX

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Turkey-First Smoke
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 08:16:36 PM »
Great to hear the turkey was a hit, Martha!  Good to hear from you again! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

rowsteve65

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 11:11:01 AM »
Tony,

I'm sure you're aware of the rub and sauce that Jeff Phillips sells online on the smokinmeatforum.  Do you know whether they'e worth the money or are there rubs and sauces that are equally as good on this forum?  I have rub and homemade sauce recipes that I use for ribs, and they are the best I've ever had, but I've never thought about using the rub on turkey, as Jeff recommends with his rub.  Thoughts?  I'm trying to decide what to do with the Thanksgiving turkey when I get my new Model 2 later this week.  Thanks.

Steve

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 02:10:00 PM »
Hi Martha, I have been researching the same thing. I found an interesting rub on the Amazing Ribs site that looks promising. Even though it's a rib site, it actually has lots of information. The rub for turkey is the Simon and Garfunkel Rub, an homage to the music artists. Here's the link: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/simon_and_garfunkel_rub.html
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 08:26:02 PM »
Tony,

I'm sure you're aware of the rub and sauce that Jeff Phillips sells online on the smokinmeatforum.  Do you know whether they'e worth the money or are there rubs and sauces that are equally as good on this forum?  I have rub and homemade sauce recipes that I use for ribs, and they are the best I've ever had, but I've never thought about using the rub on turkey, as Jeff recommends with his rub.  Thoughts?  I'm trying to decide what to do with the Thanksgiving turkey when I get my new Model 2 later this week.  Thanks.

Steve

I have his recipes, Steve.  I use his rub, occasionally, and it's good.  I prefer my own sauce over his, but I'm biased. ;)   Not saying they're not worth the $, but there are some darned good rubs and sauces on here.  Personally, I don't think his rub would go well on a Thanksgiving turkey.  But, since most people don't eat the skin on SI poultry (unless you like rubbery skin), the rub isn't that big of a deal.  I know he likes to put it under the skin, and that would make it a big deal. 

Nothing negative against Jeff - he knows a LOT about our hobby, but his rub is far from the "only" rub you'll ever need (according to him).  I think he probably puts it on his Cheerios in the morning! ;)   For turkey, I prefer more "traditional" turkey rubs, like McCormick's poultry seasoning and such.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

DarbyDog

• SI #2
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 09:43:16 AM »
Tony,

Steve

I have used his rub on brisket, ribs and chicken and liked it.  I will not be using it on the fresh turkey I am smoking for Thanksgiving.  Tried it on a turkey breast last week and while it was good it just didn't seem "Thanksgivingny" enough.
Walt from TX but trapped in Central FL

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 08:47:40 PM »
Yeah, Walt, that's what I was thinking.  I have to have some thyme and rosemary in a turkey rub, or it's just not "Thanksgivingy!" :)
Tony from NW Arkansas