Author Topic: Time for 3 racks of St Louis ribs  (Read 4189 times)

swashbu

Time for 3 racks of St Louis ribs
« on: September 01, 2014, 12:06:03 PM »
I still learning how to use my #1 but have had decent luck with ribs and pork butt.

I'm just curious how long other people cook 3 racks of St Louis ribs and what the meat temperature is when they call them take them out and let them sit.

Thanks
Steve

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Time for 3 racks of St Louis ribs
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 01:04:09 PM »
Hi Steve - welcome to the party! 8)

I use the same method I do for baby backs, but spares can take a bit longer (maybe 20-30 minutes).  Remove the silver skin, slather in yellow mustard and rub, then wrap in plastic for a sit in the fridge to get happy.

In the smoker @ 235, pan of apple juice on the bottom (next to the smoke box), 2.5-3 oz of wood, then let them go for 5 hours without opening the door.  At 5 hours, check for doneness.  You can't probe ribs - not enough meat and too much bone to get an accurate reading.  Ribs are all feel and appearance.  Use a wooden toothpick between the bones.  If it goes in tender, and the meat pulls away from the bone without breaking the toothpick, they're done!  No need to foil, spritz, or anything.  Just let the smoker do what it's best at - Lazy Q! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 01:04:56 PM »
Steve
I smoked 4 racks of babies yesterday, 5 and quarter hours in the smoker and two hour rest.  I have not smoked St. Louis cut in over a year.  My guess would be six hours.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

jpittssr

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 02:26:32 PM »
Hi Steve - welcome to the party! 8)

I use the same method I do for baby backs, but spares can take a bit longer (maybe 20-30 minutes).  Remove the silver skin, slather in yellow mustard and rub, then wrap in plastic for a sit in the fridge to get happy.

In the smoker @ 235, pan of apple juice on the bottom (next to the smoke box), 2.5-3 oz of wood, then let them go for 5 hours without opening the door.  At 5 hours, check for doneness.  You can't probe ribs - not enough meat and too much bone to get an accurate reading.  Ribs are all feel and appearance.  Use a wooden toothpick between the bones.  If it goes in tender, and the meat pulls away from the bone without breaking the toothpick, they're done!  No need to foil, spritz, or anything.  Just let the smoker do what it's best at - Lazy Q! ;D

I did the same thing today except after checking at 5 hours I let them go another hour because my wife likes them to fall off the bone.
2.6 oz hickory, Apple juice in the loaf pan

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 03:34:26 PM »
6 hours is pretty common for spares.  I just like to start checking at 5, then add 30 minutes at a time until done.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

swashbu

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 04:40:36 PM »
Thanks all for the suggestions. I am going to aim for 6 hours and let them rest an hour.

I've read that a good way to "rest" them is to wrap them in aluminum foil and put them in a Styrofoam cooler.

Is that similar to what you all do?

Steve

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 04:46:13 PM »
Steve,

Some folks here "rest" ribs for a bit, before eating, but many do not (me included).  The only rest I do on ribs is the time it takes to get them from the smoker to the cutting board!  There's not enough meat on ribs to benefit from a rest (imo).  Large cuts, like butts, briskets, roasts of any kind, definitely benefit from a 1+ hour rest.  This is the time when the juice stops coming out of the meat, and is reabsorbed by the meat.

You are correct in the method.  A styro cooler, or just a regular plastic cooler, works fine.  Double-wrap in foil, and cover with a thick towel to hold the heat better.
Tony from NW Arkansas

swashbu

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 04:55:50 PM »
DivotMaker,
Thanks for the reply. I wanted to make sure they were done for a gathering this evening so I started them a bit early.  I'll pull them when they are done and rest them as per your suggestion.

Thanks again!
Steve

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 04:57:52 PM »
That should work out fine, Steve.  The cooler wrap/rest is a great way to hold them, hot, for several hours.  You can also hold them in the smoker, turned down to 140.  This will keep them at a safe temp, but stop actually "cooking" them.
Tony from NW Arkansas