Author Topic: Compression Latch  (Read 4586 times)

Brisket Bob

Compression Latch
« on: August 22, 2014, 08:08:41 PM »
Hello all.

I used my #1 smoker today to make some wonderful ribs.  I ran into a problem at the end of the smoking where the compression latch would slowly raise and eventually "pop" open.  I tried adjusting the nut on the latch to reduce some pressure hoping that would alleviate it, however, that didn't really seem to impact it.  Any suggestions people have to make sure the latch stays closed?  Thank you in advance for your help.
Bob - Chicago

tbcop-is-smokin

• Proud Owner of Smokin-it #3
Re: Compression Latch
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 08:20:19 PM »
I'm not sure about that one Bob. Sounds like a good question for Divot (Tony). Or maybe shoot Steve a quick email and ask him. I feel confident he (Steve) or Divot can help you. I have a #3 which has 2 handles of course, so I'm not sure...
Let us know if you get it lined out...
Tony
Good Smokes comes from Happy Trees...
Protect Our Forest...
Vietnam Vet
Tony from Virginia...

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 08:59:52 PM »
Hey Bob, this is a new one!  I haven't had this problem, or heard of it before.  But, one thing it could be is the bracket on the door.  It may have bent outward, over time, allowing the pressure from the latch to let it creep up.  You might try tapping the bracket in, gently, with a hammer to get it more vertical.  Just a thought, and is what I would suspect first.  Others may have a better idea!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 09:39:20 PM »
Tony... That is my idea too... Compression fit need to make it slightly tighter.

Pull out the BFh and adjust.  :-*
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 09:46:42 PM »
Remember the rule taught to me by the old builder I started with, as a young carpenter's helper:  "Don't force it, just get a bigger hammer!"   ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Chipper

• "He dug his grave one forkfull at a time!"
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 10:56:56 AM »
My #1, about six months old, is having the same problem with it's latch handle.   If you touch it, it will pop up and the door opens.  Looking at the door from the side it looks like the door's outer face is slightly bowed out, as if the constant pressure of the locked latching bar is pulling the latch and door face outward.    I'd rather hit my wife in the head with a hammer than put a scatch on my #1,  so I'll wait until  I hear more replies to make sure whacking the latch is the right solution.  Thanks   Chipper

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 07:02:47 PM »
Maybe Bob can answer that.  I wasn't talking about hauling off on it like driving a 16-penny nail; just a little adjustment tap.  If you have a C-clamp big enough to reach, you might try that, too.  Gentle pressure.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Brisket Bob

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 12:49:25 PM »
Since I posted about the issue with the latch on my #1, it hasn't come up again.  I didn't do anything to it and we haven't had extreme changes in temperature, so I am not sure what made it go away (but that's fine by me)....sorry I can't be more of assistance.
Bob - Chicago

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 04:29:56 PM »
Good news, Bob!  Maybe Steve should advertise the "self-healing" feature! lol! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 05:12:27 PM »
Awesome!
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!