Author Topic: Weatherproofing the Auber  (Read 4868 times)

restorick2378

Weatherproofing the Auber
« on: August 20, 2014, 12:39:24 PM »
Anyone tried this?  The insides of this thing are pretty simple and should transfer easily to another case with proper planning.  Just wondering if anyone knows of a weatherproof case that might fit the bill.

If not, I have another idea up my sleeve that I'm dying to try out...  Stay tuned!   :-X  ;D

Rick
Rick from Wisconsin
#3 with Auber PID - Lazy-Q heaven on earth!

mnsmoker

Re: Weatherproofing the Auber
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 06:29:09 PM »
I thought of trying a clear plexiglass box 1/4 inch thick epoxied together with a hinged top and maybe a slot in the back for the cords, wouldn't be to expensive and maybe a couple hours labor.
Jim from Minnesota

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 07:35:33 PM »
The only thing you have to be careful about, if using a box, is heat.  The Auber has a heat sink, and the chips get pretty hot.  I would make sure you have some way to have airflow through the box when it's on.  I see the potential for some fried boards, if not cooled properly.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DarbyDog

• SI #2
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 01:14:02 PM »
The only thing you have to be careful about, if using a box, is heat.  The Auber has a heat sink, and the chips get pretty hot.  I would make sure you have some way to have airflow through the box when it's on.  I see the potential for some fried boards, if not cooled properly.

Yep. Those cooling fins on the bottom definitely want air movement.
Walt from TX but trapped in Central FL

jpittssr

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 03:36:53 PM »

Yep. Those cooling fins on the bottom definitely want air movement.
Maybe pick up a fan for the box and run it off the smoke generator plug?

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 07:01:04 PM »
A fan in the box would be essential, I would think.  The problem there is you would need venting in the box for airflow, which kind of defeats the weather-proofing aspect. :(
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 09:20:42 PM »
It can be done, but this is another reason why I like a PID with the K-type thermocouples.....I can keep the PID in the house and run the K-type wire (and extension cord) outside...it's possible to go up to 100 feet or so with the K.

~Martin

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 10:03:57 PM »
It can be done, but this is another reason why I like a PID with the K-type thermocouples.....I can keep the PID in the house and run the K-type wire (and extension cord) outside...it's possible to go up to 100 feet or so with the K.

That's cool!  Didn't know you could run that far!  Too bad Auber only has the single-probe unit with K! :(
Tony from NW Arkansas

DiggingDogFarm

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 10:05:48 PM »
Yeah, I guess they need to get their act together!!!!! ;) LOL
~Martin

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 10:11:47 PM »
Agreed!  Dual probes is the thing I like best about these units!
Tony from NW Arkansas

jpittssr

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 09:04:24 AM »
A fan in the box would be essential, I would think.  The problem there is you would need venting in the box for airflow, which kind of defeats the weather-proofing aspect. :(
Yes, unless you make slots in the bottom for air intake and outlet in rear for output. Might not pick up water but still exposed to extremely moist air.