Author Topic: New Category  (Read 5819 times)

Kal

New Category
« on: August 20, 2014, 10:06:26 AM »
Hey Divot Maker, might I suggest a new category for the website?

Could you start a category that we smokers can use to tell how badly our smokes turned out? You can label it "Horror Stories", "WTF" or "To Stupid to Live", a category that informs others about what not to do when smoking.

I will spare you the gory details from the past weekend but let’s just say it had all of the elements of a really bad smoke in one sitting, undercooked, overcooked, over smoked and guests that left hungry.

I am new to smoking so I am not beating myself up too much; actually my wife and I had a pretty good laugh over a bottle or two of wine about the $ 70.00 worth of food that went in the trash.

Thoughts?
Kal

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: New Category
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 04:00:20 PM »
Hi Kal,

I applaud you thinking outside the box and trying to come up with a new category that will help people.

But, I don't know that I would really want to have a section focused on the negative. I think some of the things that Tony and the rest are doing to post pinned threads and sections such as the following are more effective:

What to Do When It Arrives - http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?board=48.0
Basics for a Beginner - http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?board=50.0

We have all had our failures, and sharing them with the group helps us all find answers on how we could improve them. But sections like the above can help new users reduce the number and severity of the failures.

These are my 2 cents.

Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 07:21:48 PM »
Sorry about your weekend, Kal!  I tend to agree with Gregg's comments.  If we focus on getting folks the right information, to start with, many episodes like this will be avoided.

What I would recommend is to figure out what went wrong, re-do the cook, and post the results.  When you post the successful smoke, you can talk about the bad one, too.  That way, you're presenting a problem and a solution, rather than just a problem.  While I agree that it's good to let folks know what you did wrong, I believe it's equally important to present how you solved it, and the results.  Make sense?

This whole "Q thing" is a constant journey, and what we learn along the way benefits us all - especially when the negative turns into a positive!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

bigbassnutt

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 07:56:23 PM »
I tend to overthink things but I found writing down all the steps to a smoke as I did them, then writing down suggestions for the next time I cook the same meat while its fresh in my head and tastebuds, really helps.
Mike in Indiana
Smokin-it Model 2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 08:19:55 PM »
Good idea, but I have to go along with those opposing it.  I ruined a butt once early on by using 12 ounces of wood. Not the smoker, or the rub, or the temp.  Just me. Which is why I weigh and cut wood. No more pulled creosote.

Regarding what might go wrong, and I have read problems here and on several other forums, it is generally human caused. Just takes a bit of remembering. Keeping a notebook is sage advice.  It might seem silly at first, but being able to repeat a memorable meal or avoid a disaster makes a diary worthwhile.

But my strongest objection is that it could turn into a bashing section.  I have seen that too many times on too many forums. It helps no one and gives a black eye to the hobby and to the company making or selling the smoker. Some comments have been vicious and unwarranted.

Dave
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 08:46:04 PM »
Great points, Dave.  I totally agree with what you are saying!  We need solutions to success, not a place to focus on the negatives! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

tbcop-is-smokin

• Proud Owner of Smokin-it #3
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 10:55:17 PM »
I'll second that motion...I think we all have made some bad smokes along the way. We learn from our mistakes...
and continue on...but I can assure you this is the right place to be to learn...
Tony
Good Smokes comes from Happy Trees...
Protect Our Forest...
Vietnam Vet
Tony from Virginia...

es1025

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 08:27:27 AM »
I have not had a bad smoke.  Bad rubs yes, too much smoke no, badly cooked meat maybe.  But now with the auber, i dial in my desire temps.

I have read a lot of books and blogs to find the proper procedure.  I also listen to old sarge, divotmaker, and joe from tx and the rest of the si family on the how tos.

I use the approach less is more for rubs and wood.

Smoker size bigger is better.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

GeeBee

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 09:01:18 AM »
Keeping a notebook is sage advice.  It might seem silly at first, but being able to repeat a memorable meal or avoid a disaster makes a diary worthwhile.

Dave

I agree with this sentiment entirely. As I advance in years ::), my memory seems to slip more and more. I started from the moment my smoker arrived. I went to Staples and bought a nice little notebook and I've written down everything. The next time I wanted to try again on something, I'd refer back to my notes, make corrections where needed, until I got where I wanted to be. Perhaps starting a diary/journal should be included in the "what to do" or "basics" thread.
Gary in Hebron, Ohio
#2 with Auber PID and happy about it !

Kal

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 07:18:26 PM »
All,

I thought about it after the post and I agree we should not dwell on the negative. I was just looking for a way to make it a little easier to prevent mishaps, lots of knowledge on this site, maybe a Smokin-It list of commandments then!LoL

Thanks for the feedback everybody!

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 08:53:11 PM »
Kal,

At the suggestion of Brian (Pork Belly), I put this post together, to help new folks:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2078.0

This will evolve, over time, and you can PM me with anything you think should be added.  Thanks for sparking the need for this!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Kal

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 07:17:40 PM »
Hey DM,

Great stuff in that post, any newbie will appreciate it very much!

Thanks,
Kal

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 02:47:34 PM »
Thanks, Kal!  Let me know if I need to add anything - all help is more than welcome!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 03:12:47 PM »
Tony,
Thanks for getting this done so quickly. I think it will save us all a lot of typing. The points it makes are the same ones we keep going over with each new member. Once again, thanks and good job.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 03:14:46 PM »
Thanks for the nudge, Brian!  Been meaning to do something like this for awhile, and you got me on the right track.  Thank you!
Tony from NW Arkansas