Author Topic: Problem with flavor- bitter  (Read 4181 times)

VermontCharlie

Problem with flavor- bitter
« on: August 11, 2014, 05:57:21 PM »
I am having a problem with a bitter after-taste to some of my smokes.   Could this be from too much wood?  Wrong type?  Something else?

I am a 'new smoker', recently got my #2, which is my first smoker.  I first did a brined salmon- it was OK.  For the heck of it, I tried smoking some vegetables.... as I love grilled veggies.  Put some cut up peppers and onions in there, don't remember the amount of wood or time-  they were pretty bad.  Had a pronounced bitter flavor,  had to throw them out- not edible!
Next did my first Boston Butt- came out pretty well.  After that, another salmon.  This time, to experiment, I cut it in half, brined one portion, the other I just put on a marinade right before smoking (olive oil, ginger powder, fresh garlic).  Smoked the salmon at 165-170, used just about 4 oz. wood.  One piece of the hickory which came with the #2, and one piece of apple... from a small bag I bought at Home Depot- which from further reading of the forums, I see isn't the most recommended.
Pulled the brined piece out after 2 1/2- 3 hours, was done enough, and tasted fine.  Took the marinaded half out after 3 1/2 hours or so, was done enough- but it again had the same, bitter taste that the vegetables had on the earlier smoke.  Oh, I'd put in a few potatoes also- they weren't done in that time, so had to finish them off in the microwave, but the skins had the bitter flavor also.  Inside, they were OK.
But, the salmon was disappointing!   I enjoy ribs and pulled pork, but I like fish also.  Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong, or what the problem is?   I am assuming maybe too much wood.   If so, how much is enough with something like fish?  I assume it didn't come out this way, because it wasn't brined?
Thanks for any help.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Problem with flavor- bitter
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 06:02:54 PM »
My guess would be too much wood.

Fish and Poultry in particular really absorb smoke fast and are easy to over smoke. For fish, I would only use 2oz and for poultry I use 2.5-3.0.

For lower temp smokes like the fish, you may want to try soaked wood chips. They will start smoldering faster at the lower temps.

Once thing to note and remember is that meat can only absorb smoke until it reaches in internal temp of 140. After that it just piles on and does become bitter.

Hope this helps.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 07:30:12 PM »
Charlie, I assume you are actually weighing your wood, and not just "guesstimating?"  If that's the case, I would suggest cutting your wood amount in half, and try that.  Then, if the meat/veggies is not smoky enough, you'll be able to adjust to your taste.  Too little smoke is OK to live with; oversmoked is just a disaster.

Gregg's right about absorption.  It's commonly believed that most meats actually stop absorbing the smoke at about 140, so additional smoke just builds up on the surface and gets bitter.  Think of the inside walls of your smoker...that's what happening to your meat with excess smoke!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 09:40:04 PM »
You should get a little notebook or the note feature on your phone. Then track all your smokes until you have developed your routine and preference. I would also stop mixing wood types until you know what you like. You can throw some Johnsonville brats or other sausage in the SI and test wood types and amounts. Then your not out an expensive cut of meat.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

VermontCharlie

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 09:50:33 PM »
Yes, I am weighting the wood.  Thanks for the replies so far.    My best guess to begin with was too much wood/smoke.   But I am too new at this, to know for sure what causes various results- either good or bad!
I'll give 2 oz. a try the next time.

I am curious- anyone out there doing salmon without brining it first?  It would certainly give it a different consistency and flavor, but does it make sense to do it that way?  I figured that would make it come out somewhat more like 'grilling', but with a hint of smoke (if I cut way back on wood with a non-brined version), and moister then grilling?   I like the brined/smoked version, but not ALL the time.

Thanks again.
Charlie

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 10:56:04 PM »
If I were to try that I would go with salt and pepper and a compound butter on top. Crank it up to 250 and let it self baste as the butter melts. Salmon can be served medium so I would look after one hour. Hope this helps.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud