Author Topic: Chicken, skin or skinless?  (Read 5981 times)

jdiver

Chicken, skin or skinless?
« on: August 15, 2014, 10:14:15 AM »
Since it's so hard to get good skin on smoked chicken. And some people like skinless chicken anyway. How does smoking skinless chicken do? Normally I'd never even consider skinless chicken. But I'd prefer pulling off the skin, and cooking it, or rendering it separately. I love good crisp chicken skin.

But with a good rub, and or sauce, how would that chicken come out if smoked sans skin?

Anyone do it that way?
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

tbcop-is-smokin

• Proud Owner of Smokin-it #3
Re: Chicken, skin or skinless?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 10:28:46 AM »
Jd , I did a whole chicken this past weekend and I left the skin on. Even though my Chicken looked very good after I took it out of the smoker I tried the skin and the taste was not good at all. It was tough and had a strong taste of smoke. Maybe I'm doing something wrong because I'm new at this too.
Good Luck
Tony

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2043.0
Good Smokes comes from Happy Trees...
Protect Our Forest...
Vietnam Vet
Tony from Virginia...

Walt

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 10:36:54 AM »
The skin is what helps hold all the moisture in.  Cook chicken until 150 useing 2 oz of wood.  Remove to the oven & broil it to crisp it up & remove @ 165.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 11:06:57 AM »
If you are doing skinless breasts, then I would wrap them in bacon to retain moisture and also do a 3+- hour brine.    On the other hand, when I do chicken halves with skin, I take them off at 160IT and put them skin down on my gas grill to crisp up the skin..works nicely.   A broiler will work as well.    If I am doing pulled chicken with thighs, then I throw away the skins before pulling.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

jdiver

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 12:01:40 PM »
Looks like I'm going to have to play. And yes was thinking of doing  brine if skinless. I just hate to waste the skin in the smoker if it doesn't come out wonderful.

My favorite piece is the thigh by far. I'll try some both skin and skinless. Also thinking of smoking the meat for later use. Like on salads, or in other dishes as cut up chicken. Anything I'd want pre-cooked chicken. Even a BBQ Chicken and jalapeƱo pizza, yum.
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

CarlZ

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 12:53:04 PM »
Try pulling your chicken, moisten it with a little apple juice and put it back in the SI for about an hour on 160 with a little more wood. The moist meat will pick up a little extra smoke and makes delicious chicken salad and ravioli filling.

Walt

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 01:06:33 PM »
Very nice Carl! Outside the box.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 01:18:48 PM »
I use the skin as an advantage. I pull it back and apply the seasoning directly to the meat. I also take any trimmed fat from the body cavity or leg quarters and place it between the skin and the breast meat to render and baste.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

jdiver

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 05:46:58 PM »
Try pulling your chicken, moisten it with a little apple juice and put it back in the SI for about an hour on 160 with a little more wood. The moist meat will pick up a little extra smoke and makes delicious chicken salad and ravioli filling.

Hey, I like that, great idea... Thanks
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 08:20:18 PM »
I prefer to smoke with skin on; I think it holds moisture, due to the thin layer of fat in the skin.  But, I usually don't eat the skin, so I'm not concerned about the "crispy factor." 

Brine is a great thing for poultry for skinned OR skinless!  Poultry really benefits from brining, so always do it, no matter how you cook it.

I like Carl's idea, too! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

jdiver

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 08:25:16 PM »
I've never been a big fan of Pulled Chicken... But I've not had it done with a bit of apple juice. And too often it's dry, and just the white meat. So that being said. I'll give it a shot.

Just because I don't like something probably means I haven't liked how it was done in the past.
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 08:37:49 PM »
Just because I don't like something probably means I haven't liked how it was done in the past.

How true!  I know exactly what you mean!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!