Author Topic: Smokin-It 3 full of pork butt  (Read 2279 times)

TheSneakyZebra

Smokin-It 3 full of pork butt
« on: August 07, 2014, 11:01:06 PM »
As some of you know, one of the main reasons I purchased this unit was to accompany my 22.5 WSM for a wedding I did. I fed about 250 people and smoked over 100 pounds of pork shoulder. I could only fit around 40 pounds in the smokin-it since the shoulders were pretty tall.

During my many trial runs without the auber, with the auber but not bypassed, and finally with the auber and bypassed, I was finally successful. The cook went well but would not have without the bypass. I am pretty please with the unit now that it is bypassed.

The pork from my WSM was easily better than the ones from the smokin-it, but that we to be expected and it did not matter all that much since it all got mixed in together.

I have had about 30 or so cooks with the #3, everything from cold smoking, jerky, kimchi (yes, I said kimchi), to the norms of the BBQ world. Now I am really looking forward to using this bypassed method for perfect temperature control for my charcuterie/sausages and fish.
Mikey from WA

Model 3 and 22.5 WSM

jpittssr

Re: Smokin-It 3 full of pork butt
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 11:41:09 AM »

The pork from my WSM was easily better than the ones from the smokin-it,

Can you describe what it was that you liked better about the WSM Butts?

I just switched from a reverse flow stick/charcoal burner to a digital controlled Model 2 and other than the smoke ring I don't see a noticeable difference.
The bark may not be as thick on my SI-2

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Smokin-It 3 full of pork butt
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 09:34:57 PM »
I noticed a difference between my offset and the electric. Only in appearance because of the different heat source, more of a reddish mahogany color. No difference in flavor or tenderness.  And a  monster difference in convenience. No tending and feeding wood to maintain temp. Great trade off.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus